EAL Teacher - Sedbergh International Summer School
- Deadline: Sun 31 Mar 2019 00:00:00 GMT
- United Kingdom: Cumbria.
- Sedbergh School
- Experience: 2 YEARS
- Positions: 4
- Degree Required
- Short Term/Summer job, Residential
EAL Teachers will plan and deliver exciting and inspiring lessons tailored to their students' level and will participate in the extra-curricular programme through excursions, activities and pastoral duties.
EAL Teachers receive £550 per week plus full board and a paid induction/preparation session.
Details of Position
We are currently inviting applications for the following courses:
- English & Adventure (30th June - 7th July)
- General English (7th July - 19th August)
- IELTS preparation & official examination - in partnership with Melton College York (7th - 20th
- 22 hours of English teaching per week (General English & IELTS preparation)
- 15 hours of English teaching in week 1 (English and Adventure)
- Maximum 15 students per class, with a mixture of nationalities
- One full-day city excursion each week
- One full day off per week
EAL Teachers report directly to the Director of Studies (DOS) and will:
- Become familiar with the Sedbergh ISS curriculum, materials and resources during induction
- Teach lessons using the Sedbergh ISS curriculum, materials and resources and any other
appropriate materials they provide or create.
- Promote a student-centred learning environment, which encourages the development of 21st
- Attend to the individual needs of the students to ensure that maximum benefit is gained from
- Continuously assess students progress, providing useful and relevant feedback.
- Maintain administrative systems by preparing and keeping class lists, records of work, class
registers and preparing detailed individual reports.
- Manage the classroom behaviour effectively and ensure all students participate.
- Attend meetings as requested by the summer school management.
- Attend any CPD (Continued Professional Development) workshops.
- Be observed by the Academic Management.
- Support the House Parents by supervising students in the college accommodation and complete
overnight pastoral duties where required.
- Help ensure that the students do not breach the rules of the school or the laws of the country.
- Assist at any time, whether on duty or not, with an emergency, or where a student is ill or
- Have an awareness of their responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the students
during meals, break times, and when in the accommodation areas.
- Assist DOS/ADOS with student placement testing.
- Attend, and at times lead, weekly excursions to UK cities.
- Lead, supervise or assist with occasional sports and activities.
- Engage with the students outside of class in a friendly yet professional manner.
Sedbergh ISS is currently in the application process for British Council accreditation, as we want to show our ongoing dedication to the highest standards of summer school provision. EAL Teachers may therefore be observed by the inspection team and will need to uphold the standards which Sedbergh ISS lay out during the application, interview and induction process. Our senior management team are committed to supporting its staff through the first inspection. Lesson plans, teaching support and feedback are all provided from its experienced, Delta-qualified ADOS and DOS.
30th June - 19th August 2019
The above dates refer to the summer course and do not include induction and training. Please be aware that you will need to be available 2 days before you are due to commence work.
It is possible to begin and end work on varying dates please specify your availability on application.
Please refer to our website for further information about Sedbergh ISS (link below).
SHOULD YOU BE SUCCESSFUL...
- We will contact you to organise a Skype interview, which will be conducted in two phases.
- We will require the details of two recent and relevant referees who we will contact.
- Any gaps in your CV will be enquired about and must be explained satisfactorily as part of a
safeguarding interview, which will be conducted by telephone
- You will be required to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service check (previously called a
Criminal Records Bureau check), and equivalent if living outside the UK (e.g. police check),
and you will be asked to sign the Children Act 1989 declaration safeguarding the welfare of
children, and state that you have no known reason why you cannot work with children.
- Official identification and certificates (either originals or certified copies) will be
required for our records.
Sedbergh International Summer School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We have a comprehensive Child Protection Policy and procedures in place which all employees, volunteers and contractors are expected to adhere to.
**Please note we can only consider applicants who are already eligible to work in the United Kingdom.
General English course:
- BA in relevant subject or related discipline
- Trinity CertTESOL or CELTA certificate
- Minimum of 2 years post TEFL/ CELTA experience
- Experience teaching relevant subject (i.e. teaching multi-lingual classes/teaching young
learners, etc experience in at least one relevant area is essential)
English & Adventure course:
- As for General English course, plus previous summer school experience (ideally with some
involvement in activities)
IELTS preparation course:
- As for General English course, plus experience teaching IELTS preparation
- MA in relevant subject, languages or a related discipline
- Trinity DipTESOL or DELTA
- Knowledge/experience of British Council policy and practice
- Experience working in a residential summer school environment and/or knowledge of boarding
*Only applications suiting the needs and requirements of the post can be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.
Salary and Benefits
- £550 per week, which includes holiday allowance at 12.07% of basic pay, plus accommodation on-
site, full board, induction/preparation session and one full day off per week;
- Paid Enhanced DBS Check
- Experienced and supportive Director of Studies and Assistant Director of Studies
- Online safeguarding and working with children training
- On-site training prior to student arrival
- Professional, fun and supportive environment
- Opportunities for progression
- Returning teachers can take advantage of our loyalty bonus
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?
Train To Teach
Take a Cambridge CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL course with Cactus and get a guaranteed interview. Choose from teaching positions in the UK, Spain and China, among others!Click to find out more.
TEFL Worldwide offers the Internationally Recognized and Accredited 4-week TEFL Course in Prague! Lifetime job assistance provided worldwide. Our graduates are teaching in 60+ countries! Highly rated by language schools and graduates.Click to find out more.
We have over 20 years’ experience delivering full-time and part-time CELTA courses and have a 98% pass rate.Click to find out more.
Our highly rated, accredited courses will help you access 1,000s of international and online teaching opportunities. Learn how to teach TEFL and book your course today.Click to find out more.