House Parents - Summer School
- United Kingdom, South Croydon, CR2 6YT
- Whitgift Summer School
- Experience: 1 YEAR
- Positions: 5
- Degree Required
- Short Term/Summer job, Residential
Details of Position
The summer school runs for 6 weeks from 8 July - 19 August 2018. New staff induction days and summer school set up take place on 5, 6 & 7 July 2018. Although applicants who have full availability throughout this period are prioritised, applications for shorter periods may be considered. Therefore, if you are unable to work for the entire 6 weeks, please state this clearly within the additional information section of the application form and provide reasons.
House Parents manage the day to day boarding house operation and help generate a welcoming, supportive and fun atmosphere in the house, ensuring the students safety and well-being at all times.
Candidates must be hard-working, reliable and professional and be willing to go the extra mile to ensure the safety and well-being of all students. They must have the ability and skills to build a caring, friendly and positive rapport with students, while, at the same time, being able to deal appropriately with discipline issues when required. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential, as is the ability to work calmly, effectively and positively, even whilst under pressure. Applicants will be expected to contribute to the full life of our busy summer school and will be required to assist with airport transfers as and when required. The House Parents report to the Welfare Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Maintain a safe, healthy and secure environment for all students
* Engage with students so as to be known and approachable to all students
* Provide care, counselling and support to students
* Promote good conduct and high standards of student behaviour
* Facilitate and encourage interaction between students and promote participation in all lessons, sports and social activities
* Promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people that you are responsible for/come into contact with during your period of employment
* Actively manage, supervise and engage with students during mealtimes in order to ensure a calm and pleasant dining experience for all
* Carry out daily checks on student rooms and ensure damage is kept to a minimum and report any problems to the Welfare Manager in a timely manner
* Ensure students in the house wake up and go to bed, lessons and activities on time and take house registers at the appropriate times of day
* Be aware of any specific medical, health and welfare information relating to the students
* Deal with student issues/emergencies as and when they arise
* Look after any sick students who are under the care of the Nurse or Welfare Manager but who need to stay in bed making sure they are comfortable and have access to food and water and accompany any sick/injured students to the Doctor/Hospital (this could include an overnight stay)
* Ensure effective house supervision and security is maintained at all times
* Ensure students are aware of all housekeeping and laundry facilities and to organise this weekly
* Manage students pocket money
* Attend and contribute to other activities and events as required
* Attend regular meetings with the Welfare Manager and Course Director
* Assess and provide relevant and timely feedback on achievement, progress, and developmental needs to managers/colleagues, including student records and writing weekly student progress reports and end of course reports
* To be an integral part in welcoming students and parents on arrival and departure days and carry out all necessary duties associated with these days
* Assist with student arrivals and departures, accompanying students to and from the airport
* To be familiar with and enforce the summer school rules and regulations, health and safety, fire procedures an drills
* Complete a house fire drill each week
* Adhere to the standards and procedures detailed in the summer school Staff Handbook
* Passionate about the welfare of children
* Previous experience of working with children in a professional setting
* Educated to degree level
* Previous experience of looking after children in a summer school, residential or boarding house context
* Able to deal with any problems swiftly, fairly and appropriately
* Ability to command respect from students
* Experience of working with different nationalities
* Ability to lead, supervise and engage young learners
* Native/near native competence in spoken and written English
* A good understanding of health & safety and safeguarding
* HSE First Aid Certificate
* Experience working in a pastoral role/Counselling skills
* Training in areas related to child care, education or counselling
* Leadership experience
* Current registration with Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
* RGN with at least two years post registration experience - ideally 6 months of which spent in A&E/Medical Centre/Walk in Clinic or as Practice Nurse or School Nurse
* CELTA Qualified or equivalent qualification in EFL
Salary and Benefits
The weekly salary includes accommodation and all meals when on duty. A House Parent is a residential role so as to offer students a first class pastoral and welfare service. Even when off duty they must be willing to assist in case of any emergency that may arise, especially throughout the night.
Whitgift Summer School
More Company Information
Whitgift School is an outstanding British independent school founded in 1600, renowned for its first-class education, and a commitment to achieving the highest standards. During the summer holidays, Whitgift runs its own Summer School, utilising all its fantastic facilities and new boarding house. This Summer School, with its innovative syllabus and focus on the use of English in Action, is designed to appeal to girls and boys from all over the world.
Click here to visit the
Whitgift Summer School website
Send Job via Email
Please enter the email address of the person you wish to send this job to.
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?
Our accredited online courses are designed and managed by highly experienced TEFL teachers so you can be confident in all that you learn.Click to find out more.
Train To Teach
Build up your classroom confidence: assessed teaching practice, individual help, support and professional feedback by experienced Cambridge CELTA tutors. Very high pass rate. Register now and get EARLY BIRD discount. Special package with accommodation included.Click to find out more.