Easter and/or Summer EFL Teachers (Residential)
- United Kingdom: Guestling, near Hastings.
- Buckswood Overseas Summer School
- Experience: NO PREFERENCE
- Number of positions: 10
- Degree Required
- Short Term/Summer job, Residential
Details of Position
Spring Course: Friday 24th March to Saturday 15th April (induction included and paid)
Summer School: Thursday 29th June to Saturday 19th August (induction included and paid)
In 2023 Buckswood Overseas Summer School, a British Council accredited Summer School, will be running a residential Spring Course and Summer Course at our campus at Buckswood School in Guestling near Hastings. Students are residential and will join our courses that include:
- 20 hours of English per week
- Trinity College London GESE exam
- Two full day and two half day excursions per week
- Museum and attraction entrance fees
- Full Afternoon and Evening Activity Programme
- All course materials
- Full board accommodation
- Laundry service
- BOSS wristband, BOSS folder, BOSS diary and BOSS t-shirt
All duties are meticulously scheduled and your weekly scheduled duties will not surpass 48 hours. Duties will comprise of two components: classroom teaching and the supervision of the activity and excursion programme.
Twenty hours of your contracted time will be teaching and a minimum of five hours per week will be dedicated to lesson planning. Teaching will generally take place between 09:30 and 16:30 over 5 days.
Activity and Excursion Components
Approximately nineteen hours will be dedicated to our activity and excursion programme consisting of one half day and one full day excursion per week as well as some onsite afternoon and evening activities.
You may also be allocated specific duties to be carried out at specific times. These will be your sole responsibility and you will be expected to carry them out actively and responsibly.
Typically these duties will involve:
- Taking an active role in the safeguarding of our students
- Orienting and helping new students as instructed
- Facilitating assembly at points and prearranged times
- Actively supervising defined areas at specified times as required
- Supervising students on excursions and ensuring their safe transport
- Supervising and taking part in activities for example, sports, discos, talent nights, etc.
- Airport duties as specified
- Patrolling school or site boundaries and ensuring that students to not leave the premises without supervision and permission
- Upholding the reputation of Buckswood Overseas Summer School
It is considered impossible to define every duty, and the teacher/supervisor is required to do whatever is necessary to ensure the safeguarding and happiness of the students and the smooth running of the course.
As a residential team member, you will be expected to use maturity and judgement to respond appropriately not only to emergencies, but also to any situation where you are the nearest person to hand, or the first to become aware of any situation which requires supervisory action.
At induction, teachers can indicate whether they wish to be included in the list of staff who would like to be offered additional work to maximise earnings. This will enable the Summer School Director to take this into account as early as possible in the planning of weekly timetables.
Hours of Work
You are required to teach a maximum of 20 hours per week, normally over five days at any time between the hours of 09:00 and 15:00. You are also required to carry out non-teaching duties relating to the Activity and Excursion Programme or in connection with the residential facility for a maximum of 23 hours per week. As a minimum, at least 5 hours is allocated for lesson preparation depending on the demands of the week.
The standard timetable for this post is therefore 48 hours per week, normally over 5 and a half days per week. Teachers who have indicated their interest in undertaking additional teaching or supervisory work will be notified of any such requirements from week to week by the Summer School Director or Director of Studies. You will be paid £18.00 per additional teaching hour and £10.90 per hour for additional non-teaching work.
In addition you may be required exceptionally to cover in order to maintain the timetable in the case of unexpected absence by other members of staff unless you have agreed with the Summer School Director in advance to be released from this requirement. In the event of extra hours being worked, the Summer School Director will, at your request, try to reduce your hours accordingly in the following week. Any extra hours worked above the contracted hours in any monthly pay period will be paid for at the rates above.
You will have one and a half days off each week, either Tuesday from 13:00 and all day Wednesday or Saturday from 13:00 and all day Sunday. The actual days are at the discretion of the employer (who will always try to accommodate requests), to reflect your individual supervisory programme from week-to-week and the number of activities scheduled for weekends.
Applicants should be: CELTA, Trinity TESOL, B.Ed. (modern languages) or PGCE Primary qualified teachers. Other qualifications meeting British Council recognised Summer School standards will also be considered.
Weekend TEFL courses and online courses with no observed teaching practice do not meet British Council standards.
Experience of teaching juniors on a residential course would be beneficial but enthusiasm, motivation and being part of a team are just as important. We welcome newly qualified teachers looking for a first teaching position who can demonstrate that they can be a valuable member of the team.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Our Equal Opportunities Policy states:
In the recruitment, selection, training, appraisal, development and promotion of staff, the only consideration must be that the individual meets, or is likely to meet the requirements of the programme or course or post. The requirements being met, no employee will be discriminated against on the basis of their sex, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality (within current legislation), age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, caring or parental responsibilities, or beliefs on matters such as religion or politics.
Staff Recruitment Policy
To ensure that employees working are suitable for working with children, the following procedures will be followed:
- All staff must submit a CV and explain any gaps or inconsistencies.
- Two references will be needed (at least one in writing) to confirm the employees work history, suitability for the work offered and their character. The reference request clearly asks if the referee has any reason to believe that the employee is unsuitable for work with children.
- A Child Protection Self Declaration Form must be completed and returned with the offer letter signed by the employee and Summer School Director.
- The Staff Handbook which accompanies the each contract, clearly states child welfare and individual privacy. All members of staff must follow these policies.
- The Staff Handbook also clearly states conduct and this is detrimental to the welfare and safety of the children and will result in Summary Dismissal.
- All staff will provide relevant documentation and complete a DBS disclosure.
- All staff must have the right to work in the UK. Unfortunately we are unable to provide any support with right to work applications.
- If employed outside of the UK, all staff will provide any necessary police checks/records of good conduct from any previous countries in which employment has been fulfilled.
- The right to work in the UK is essential.
- If you haven't heard from us within 7 days, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- No phone calls please.
Salary and Benefits
- 12.07% holiday pay
Visit Buckswood Overseas Summer School website
SEE The World
Step this way and join us in Chiang Mai, Thailand for an opportunity to teach English to the World: 4 weeks of onsite training including 6 observed teaching practices at local schools followed by a job guarantee.www.seetefl.com
Cambridge CELTA courses 2023, AVO Centre - Bulgaria
Learn how to teach English confidently and get the most prestigious TEFL Certificate! Small groups, personal approach and individual support. Highly qualified, experienced and supportive team of tutors. Very high pass rate!www.teflcertificates-avo.com
TEFL Worldwide Prague: Awarded Top TEFL Certification Program for 2018 & 2019 out of 1,010 courses and Best TEFL Course for Job Guidance Worldwide!
Accredited 4-week TEFL course in Prague with job guidance worldwide. Our graduates are teaching in 60+ countries.Click to find out more.
TEFL Trinity CertTESOL Courses in Rome and Malaga Beach. 100% Online, Blended and Face-to-face Courses.
Including life long career service.www.tefl-abroad.org/
Promote your training courses at TEFL.com for less than £10.00/€11.00/$13.00 per week!
Reach more than 100,000 potential students each month with Train to Teach targeted advertising via our platform, social media, apps & newsletters.Download our Advertising Media Pack