Lecturer in English for Academic Purposes
- China, Online: Online.
- University of Central Lancashire (UCLan)
- Experience: 2 YEARS
- Positions: 2
- Degree Required
*Due to COVID-19, this position will be teaching online to students based in China. When opportunity arises, this position is to be substantially based in China.
Applicants are sought for September 2022 start
Details of Position
BA (Hons) Creative Advertising
BA (Hons) Animation
BA (Hons) Graphic Design
BA (Hons) Interior Design
BA (Hons) Media Production and Technology
BA (Hons) Film and Media and Film Production
Hebei University (HBU) is located in the historic city of Baoding, approximately 36 minutes from Beijing by fast train. The city is becoming a commuter base for Beijing and Hebei Province has a total population of over 77 million people.
The Joint School has non-independent status and is approved by the Ministry of Education in China.
We have recently (May 2022) had a very successful outcome to a Periodic Review of the undergraduate programmes offered by the Joint School, and have successfully validated 3 new Masters level programmes to be offered in China from September 2022. The highly successful UCLan research initiative Research Centre for Cultural Preservation through Creative Practice is also now based out in China with facilities within the partnership. This provides exciting new opportunities for staff to build research profiles within a unique, dynamic and cross-cultural environment.
The School is seeking a Lecturer in English for Academic Purposes to teach on our International Foundation Year programme. Applicants will have two years relevant experience of teaching English for Academic and/or English for Specific Purposes, ideally at university or foundation year level. Also, with a recognised teaching qualification e.g. CELTA/DELTA or equivalent.
Teaching Foundation Year EAP modules, delivering for 18 hours per week
Contributing to the development of bespoke materials for the new curriculum
Developing and conducting assessments
Delivering tutorials and support workshops
Engaging in professional development sessions
Lecturing posts at HBU-UCLan are also regulated by Chinese Labour Law and Hebei Provincial Government regulations. These regulations stipulate that the post holder must have a Masters degree qualification (in a related discipline). For this type of post, they require the post holder to be a native level English speaker with citizenship of the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa.
When current restrictions due to COVID-19 allow, the post holder must comply with Chinese Labour Laws and Hebei Provincial Government regulations to obtain a Chinese work permit and entry Z visa (restrictions apply), this includes a Police/Criminal Records Check and health check. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal work with regards to obtaining work permits and visas. The regulations in this province may preclude people over the age of 60 from obtaining a PRC work visa.
Via the Apply button below, applicants are requested to submit a CV with a covering statement demonstrating they meet the ESSENTIAL qualifications criteria. Applicants need to meet all essential criteria to be considered for interview.
Your CV should include details of at least two referees. Referees should have knowledge of your skills, capabilities and work performance. We will only take up references for the successful
- Good honours degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject.
- MA in a related discipline
- Relevant professional / teaching qualification such as CELTA/DELTA or equivalent
- Two years relevant experience of teaching English for Academic and/or English for Specific Purposes at university or foundation year level, including the development of appropriate resources.
- Ability to teach students and adjust to their learning needs.
- Good communication, presentation and IT skills.
- An ability to innovate and develop teaching materials.
- Ability to work effectively both alone and as part of a team and work to deadlines.
- Ability to work within a cross-cultural domain.
- Ability and willingness to deliver programme modules online, whilst being flexible according to the HBU-UCLan semester dates and scheduled lesson times.
- Willingness to adapt to cultural change when living and working in a large non-English speaking environment.
- Commitment to high quality teaching and student engagement.
- Ongoing commitment to personal and professional development.
- Commitment to continuous improvement in quality.
- A professional approach to administrative duties.
- Experience of teaching in the Higher Education sector.
- Experience of teaching overseas or in a non-English speaking context.
- Experience of teaching online
- Experience of working within international and cross-cultural domains.
- Specialism in one or more areas of Media/Design.
- Knowledge of academic Quality Assurance and student support procedures.
Salary and Benefits
Fixed Term Contract to August 2023, with potential extension on an academic yearly basis
University of Central Lancashire (UCLan)
More Company Information
More jobs from this recruiter
Click here to visit the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) website
Reach more than 100,000 potential students each month with Train to Teach targeted advertising via our platform, social media, apps & newsletters.Download our Advertising Media Pack