- United Kingdom: Manchester.
- Malvern House International
- Experience: NOT APPLICABLE
- Positions: 1
- Degree Required
Details of Position
Our core purpose is to provide, with our partners, students from around the world with the opportunities to reach their full potential via access to transformational learning, teaching and support and our mission is to provide international students essential academic and English language skills, cultural experiences and the support they need to thrive in their academic studies, daily life and career development.
The Malvern International group includes:
Malvern University Partnerships: high quality on-campus and off-campus university pathway programmes, helping students progress to a range of universities
Malvern House Schools: British Council accredited, English UK registered schools providing a range of interactive language programmes
Malvern Online Academy: online English school, offering supported tuition to students from around the world
Juniors & Summer Camps: English language learning experiences for juniors, with a range of summer camps and bespoke group programmes offering fully immersive language travel experiences
Communicate School of English was opened in 2010 and is a part of Malvern International Education Group. Communicate provides English language courses to students 16+ from all over the world.
Malvern International is an international education company with UK-based International Study Centres/Schools located in Brighton, London and Manchester, and at our partner universities, the University of East London and Wrexham Glyndr University. In over 35 years, we have welcomed students from over 120 countries to access study opportunities with us.
Our core purpose is to provide international students essential academic and English language skills, cultural experiences and the support they need to thrive in their academic studies, daily life and career development.
The General Manager is responsible for the smooth operations of the language school, with a focus on sales, management and overall student experience.
This role is suitable for a candidate who thrives working in an international environment and likes working with young people. It is a perfect opportunity for a candidate who has experience in sales, people and project management (experience managing a team of 3+ people) in a stand-alone business unit, ideally in the education, travel or hospitality sectors.
Previous School, Centre or Campus Management experience is desired but not essential.
Duties of the role include, but are not limited to, those listed below.
1. Being a visible presence in the school, driving student engagement and fostering an environment that supports learning and cultural & social immersion, enabling our students to become a part of the community that they are studying in
2. Being present on Monday morning to welcome students and on Friday to attend graduation
3. Dealing with all escalated student welfare queries and problems quickly, discreetly and efficiently and to the satisfaction of all concerned
4. Ensuring a robust social and activity programme is in place
5. Actively participating in the group wide calendar of events, celebrating major annual public holidays in the locations of both Malvern House schools and our students
6. Ensuring the school fulfils its duty of care to students
7. Organising and taking part in the emergency phone rota between appropriate team members to ensure support is continually available out of hours
8. Responsibility for continuous improvement of operational processes and systems to achieve the highest customer service levels
9. Act as a Designated Safeguarding Lead.
II. FINANCIAL & ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT
1. Ensuring that email and walk-in English course enquiries received each day have the highest chance of conversion - finding solutions to conversion objections.
2. Supervising the email communication and follow up processes between the direct student enquiries and the school Student Support team to achieve the highest level of booking conversions.
3. Ensuring all student enquiries are recorded and followed up correctly within the Hubspot CRM sales system.
4. Responsibility for the effective day-to day management of the schools financial administration. This to include the maintenance of effective financial controls and records to ensure agreed budgets are adhered to, as well as ensuring that all payroll administration is correctly handled
5. Managing all cash transactions in compliance with Malvern House group standards as directed by the Finance Team
6. Responsibility for actively monitoring student numbers and activity at the school and ensuring all space is effectively optimised
7. Liaising with Finance Team regarding students accounts and any other financial matters.
8. Responsibility for overall management of the efficient administration of course bookings and student records on the school CRM system
9. Responsibility for improving processes and systems related to sales with the assistance of the business development team.
III. ACADEMIC MANAGEMENT in close liaison and partnership with the Director of Studies
1. Supporting the recruitment process of academic team.
2. Responsibility for preparing and achieving success at regulatory, accreditation inspections.
3. Line management of the Director of Studies.
IV. MARKETING & EXTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS
1. Building excellent relations with agents who send students to Communicate School.
2. Hosting agent visits and liaising with agents, providing updates for the company web-site and newsletters, supporting the Groups team to issue quotations to prospective groups.
3. Implementing local marketing activity, at the direction of Central Marketing, in order to maximise direct non-agent bookings from the local area.
4. Ensuring the student areas are well presented and promotional material is displayed at all times.
V. FACILITIES & RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
1. Responsibility for the ensuring good maintenance of the schools premises and ensuring the learning environment is safe and secure.
2. Responsibility for ensuring that the school complies with all legal requirements deemed necessary by the appropriate regulatory bodies.
VI. STUDENT ACCOMMODATION & WELFARE SERVICES
1. Responsibility for local management of the schools student accommodation activity so as to achieve smooth running and optimum financial performance
2. Responsibility for overall management of all school team so as to effectively monitor and optimise individual student welfare.
VII. TEAM MANAGEMENT
1. Responsibility for effective recruitment and induction procedures of all Student Services team to comply with legal and regulatory body requirements
2. Fostering a positive working environment and professional development for all team through training job chats, appraisals and training
3. Holding regular Team Meetings
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Experience in sales
Experience in operation / project management
Previous experience managing a team
Experience managing a budget
Experience in team recruitment and performance management
A strong track record of delivering results and running a successful operation
Flexible to meet the needs of the business and demonstrate a passion for your customers and team
An understanding of duty of care and health & safety responsibilities
Experience in using Hubspot or Salesforce is desired but not essential.
Ability to respond to last minute changes
Willingness to take on new challenges, possibly outside own comfort zone
Understands that the needs of the school may require flexible, mutually understood approaches to work
2. Customer Focus
Responds to customer requests promptly
Is able to see things from customers points of view
Checks with customers to ensure satisfaction
Knows how to manage customer expectations and inform customer clearly on this
Actively seeks and acts on feedback from customers
3. Analytical & Problem Solving
Is disciplined and organised
Able to deal with large amounts of data and make sense of it
Has a measured and organised approach to solving problems
Breaks down large amounts of work into smaller, manageable parts Is quick and effective at processing information
4. Working with Others
Understands and works on team success for the whole team
Understands own role and expectations of their role in their own team and the wider school team
Has a strong awareness of how team dynamics work
Treats the concerns of other departments as important
Co-operates to meet team goals even at expense of personal preferences
Is able to motivate and get the best out of all team members
Has the ability to say no to team when necessary
Is willing to take risks, to innovate, to try out new ideas
Can lead by example Sees the bigger picture, doesnt get too stuck on minor day to day issues
6. Strategic Planning
Ability to align day-to-day work with longer term strategy
Is able to take calculated risks in order to deliver positive long term business outcomes.
Understands the importance of making decisions on a departmental and operational level, even if unpopular in the short term, for the benefit of long term business
Expected start date: 29/11/2021
Salary and Benefits
Gain the freedom to work from home or travel the world while working by teaching English online or in the classroom.
120-Hour TEFL certificate course - 84% discount for Tefl.com members. Enroll Now!International Open Academy
Start a new career as an English teacher and teach anywhere in the world. Book your interview now!www.tefl-in-italy.com
Reach more than 100,000 potential students each month with Train to Teach targeted advertising via our platform, social media, apps & newsletters.Download our Advertising Media Pack