Maths Teacher (Secondary)
- Italy: Reggio Calabria.
- International House British School Reggio Cal.
- Experience: 1 YEAR
- Positions: 1
Excellent opportunities for professional and career development in a supportive and friendly team
Contract runs from mid-September 2021 to mid-June 2022 and is renewable for following academic year(s).
Details of Position
Founded in 1964, the British School of Reggio Calabria joined the prestigious IH network in 2015. IH has over 135 schools worldwide and all its member schools have to adhere to its code of practice. As a member of AiSLi (a highly-regarded association of English Language Schools in Italy) and a Cambridge English Platinum centre, the school is committed to providing quality education.
IH British School Reggio Calabria is a private language school which specialises in teaching English as a foreign language but, in recent years, we have also collaborated with a number of local primary and secondary state schools in running courses in Mathematics and other subjects, including preparation for the Cambridge International IGCSE qualifications.
The school has a learning-centred approach and also places great importance on the professional development of all its members of staff.
Working with us provides the opportunity to:
- Further your practical experience of teaching in a quality, caring school with a wide variety of class types (from VYLs to Adults; beginner to proficiency; subject and exam preparation classes).
- Further your knowledge of language testing and assessment in one of the largest authorized Cambridge ESOL Centres in Southern Italy (proud holders of the prestigious "Platinum" status for the past few years).
- Become a Cambridge ESOL Speaking Examiner (dependent upon experience and relevant only to those with EFL experience).
- Learn from a team of friendly, supportive peers (there is a full-time teaching staff of 18 teachers, including an academic management team of five people) whose experience is wide and varied.
- Give and receive constructive feedback from regular observations and appraisals.
- Benefit from our excellent professional development programme which includes INSETTs, regular observations, appraisals, peer observation, team-teaching, drop-in lesson planning support, reading groups, conferences etc.)
- Settle into the school and the city by attending a fully-paid induction course and 25 hours of Italian lessons.
- Access a wealth of resources (e.g. Interactive Whiteboards / TVs, computer rooms, Wi-Fi throughout, up-to-date and well-stocked teaching resource library). For teachers working with offsite courses, a netbook or laptop and portable speaker is provided for the duration of the contract.
The role-holder will be required to work an average of 22 teaching hours per week, with an additional 3 hours per week dedicated to training, development and admin. This position involves teaching Mathematics in English to Italian secondary school students (aged 11-18) and preparing students for the Cambridge IGCSE examination, following a course plan designed by our current Maths Co-ordinator. The lessons will be held offsite, in local state schools. Should the successful applicant have relevant experience and qualifications, there can also be the possibility to teach English to various levels and ages.
Reggio is a warm, friendly city, situated right next to the sea on the toe of Italy. Join the locals each evening for a kilometre-long passeggiata on its palm tree-lined promenade and enjoy the stunning views of Sicily and Mt. Etna. The centre of Reggio has shops, bars and places to eat but is also small enough for everything to be within easy walking distance. Reggio is one of the safer cities in Italy, with very little petty crime, and, depending on the season, there is plenty to do in Reggio and its surroundings: from walking along the beaches and sailing, to skiing in the nearby mountains and eating in a cosy agriturismo. Our teachers love exploring the undiscovered Calabrian countryside with the dramatic and impressive backdrop of the Aspromonte mountain range.
The city is also ideally situated for visiting other places in Italy with a small port (ferry to Sicily and the Aeolian Islands), a train station (including a fast train to Rome), and an airport (flights to Rome and Milan). If you're looking for direct international flights, Catania or Lamezia (roughly 1 hour away) have different direct connections.
Here, you can find out the top 10 things our teachers love about living in Reggio Calabria (link below).
and to find out more about us, from our teachers, watch this video:
- Relevant STEM teaching qualification
- One year's teaching experience OR experience of preparing learners for the Maths IGCSE
- The ability to deliver engaging, well-prepared, useful, learner-centred Maths lessons to
- Cultural sensitivity and a tolerant and open-minded attitude.
- Strong team-working skills and a desire to develop professionally.
- The applicant should be reliable, organised and flexible.
- Computer literate (all registers are completed, and timetables accessed, online).
- Experience or qualifications for teaching English as a foreign language
- EU nationality or right to work in the EU is preferred, but not essential
Please note that, at IH British School Reggio Calabria, the safety of our students and staff is of utmost importance and for this reason we ask all applicants who reach the final stage of the recruitment process to provide details for three professional references which we then verify and contact via email and/or telephone. A valid criminal record / background check must also be supplied upon request.
Salary and Benefits
* Accommodation provided at a reasonable price (between 250 (single room in shared flat ) and 400
euros (studio) p.c.m), maximum 20- minute walk from school and 15 minutes from city centre and
* Salary commensurate with experience. Minimum monthly salary 1120 euros net + end-of-contract
bonus of 1000 Euros net.
* Higher salary will be offered to applicants who have relevant teaching experience, particularly
in another IH school, or who have extensive experience of preparing students for the Maths
IGCSE or equivalent qualification.
* For teachers in possession of a valid driving permit, use of the school car at the weekends to
help you explore the undiscovered Calabria
* 25 hours of Italian lessons provided free of charge, with a qualified Italian teacher
International House British School Reggio Cal.
More jobs from this recruiter
Click here to visit the International House British School Reggio Cal. website
Gain the freedom to work from home or travel the world while working by teaching English online or in the classroom.
120-Hour TEFL certificate course - 84% discount for Tefl.com members. Enroll Now!International Open Academy
Start a new career as an English teacher and teach anywhere in the world. Book your interview now!www.tefl-abroad.org
Reach more than 100,000 potential students each month with Train to Teach targeted advertising via our platform, social media, apps & newsletters.Download our Advertising Media Pack
Latest TEFL Blog Posts