Assistant Director of Studies - Sedbergh International Summer School
- Deadline: Mon 16 Mar 2020 00:00:00 UTC
- United Kingdom: Cumbria.
- Sedbergh School
- Experience: NOT APPLICABLE
- Positions: 1
- Degree Required
- Short Term/Summer job, Residential
The ADoS will help the Director of Studies with the smooth running of our summer courses and assist with the academic programme.
Based across three spectacular Lake District locations, Sedbergh ISS is a great way to spend this Summer!
Details of Position
All applicants must complete a Sedbergh School application to be considered for the post - please click 'Apply' to be redirected to the Sedbergh School website, or email to request a form. Unfortunately, we cannot accept TEFL.com CVs in place of an application form.
Sedbergh is a traditional, British boarding school, which has maintained the very best of British boarding school traditions, whilst constantly introducing innovative ideas and new ways of teaching. Our unique International Summer School is an excellent example of this. Owned and operated by Sedbergh School's own staff, it provides a complete British boarding school experience, where students learn English from the finest teachers and, outside of the classroom, enjoy an impressive range of sports, excursions and exciting activities.
For summer 2020, we expect to welcome up to 100 students aged 8-16, from a wide variety of different countries. The Assistant Director of Studies (ADoS) will be responsible for supporting the Director of Studies (DoS) in the successful delivery of the academic content of our International Summer School courses. In addition to teaching 22 hours of English per week, the ADoS will be familiar with the curriculum, as planned by the DoS, and will be able to assist them in providing direction, support and feedback to the team of qualified English teachers. All staff are required to undertake some overnight residential duties in the Boarding Houses.
As Assistant Director of Studies for Sedbergh International Summer School, you will:
- Set and maintain high academic standards for teachers and students;
- Assist the DoS in ensuring the provision of an effective placement test, allocation to the most appropriate class and maintenance of accurate class lists for each student at all times
- Ensure that class attendance registers, records of work and lesson plans are undertaken;
- Work with the DoS to ensure the delivery of dynamic and communicative lessons and activities across a range of levels, to multinational student groups of various ages;
- Assist the DoS in ensuring appropriate weekly and end of course reports are written in a timely manner for every student;
- Provide support and guidance for academic staff and feedback in the preparation and delivery of lessons;
- Liaise with teachers and support staff on student welfare in the classroom;
- Encourage and support open communication between all academic staff e.g. at daily academic staff meetings;
- Participate in some activities and excursions;
- Undertake any other duties as required by the Director of Studies or other Director(s).
What we are looking for (essential requirements):
- A CELTA (or equivalent) qualification and extensive EAL teaching experience, including previous summer school experience;
- Outstanding organisational, administrative and communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a team and to define and achieve outcomes;
- Ability to work under pressure and manage competing demands;
- Flexibility and a positive attitude at all times, with a good sense of humour;
- For the benefit of students paying to attend the course to learn English, applicants must have a native level, or near native level, of English.
Our ideal candidate would also have (desirable requirements):
- A Delta qualification or equivalent or be working towards a Delta. The ability to speak other languages is an advantage;
- Previous management experience;
- Previous experience working on an ISS.
OTHER INFORMATION RELEVANT TO YOUR APPLICATION:
Dates for the courses will be as follows:
- 28th June - 25th July (weeks 1-4) - arriving at Brathay Hall (Ambleside) on 26th June for induction
- 26th July - 17th August (weeks 5-7) - arriving at Casterton Sedbergh Preparatory School (Casterton) on 24th July for induction
*Please inform the School on application if you can attend all 7 weeks of the course or, if not, whether you would be available for weeks 1-4 or 5-7, as per the dates set out above.*
Working with children:
All staff applying to Sedbergh International Summer School will have stringent checks made as to their suitability to work with children. Appointment will be subject to the following:
- Receipt by the School of two satisfactory references, which will include responses to a specific enquiry about whether there is any impediment to the prospective staff member being employed in a situation where he/she will have responsibility for/access to and the care of children;
- Receipt by the School of an enhanced DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) certificate;
- Proof of identity and all relevant qualifications will be required, and photocopies taken of the original certificates;
- Any gaps in Applicants employment history will be questioned and must be satisfactorily explained;
- Applicants also need to be aware that if they have spent longer than three months outside of the UK in the last five years then as well as applying for an enhanced DBS they will also need to obtain a Police Check or other DBS equivalent to cover the time spent overseas. This is due to the DBS not having access to overseas criminal records as part of its Disclosure service.
Sedbergh School is committed to safeguarding & protecting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and The Disclosure and Barring Service.
Salary and Benefits
Looking for an opportunity to expand your career choices at home or abroad, fund your travels or attain an internationally-recognised TESOL qualification? If yes, then one of our flagship TESOL courses could be for you! BA (Hons) TESOL & Linguistics MA Education with TESOL.Click to find out more.
Take The Anglo 8-week summer Delta M2 course in Cancun, Mondays – Thursdays. Or the 4-week summer CELTA course in Puerto Vallarta. EARLY BIRD PRICES available now!Click to find out more.