Director of Studies - residential
- Deadline: Tue 30 Apr 2019 00:00:00 GMT
- United Kingdom: Shrewsbury School, Shropshire.
Responds to 10-20% of job applications usually within 6 days
- Experience: 3 YEARS
- Positions: 1
- Degree Required
- Short Term/Summer job, Residential
30 June - 31 July. Student age range 11-16 years.
Total gross pay for a 4 week course plus induction of £3735 (£646 gross/week + guaranteed bonus £100/week + £77/week statutory holiday pay + £300 for pre-course work + free board and lodging)
Details of Position
Student age range: 11-16 years. Beginners to advanced. Some prepare for the Trinity GESE exams.
Dates (including induction): Sunday 30 June - Wednesday 1 July
Teachers: a small team of 4-6 experienced teachers who work on a zig-zag programme teaching different students in the mornings and afternoons
Inducting teachers. Testing and placing students. Leading and managing the teaching team. Ensuring the high-quality of the academic programme is maintained and improved each summer. Providing teachers with training and professional development opportunities. Ensuring students are prepared for Trinity GESE exams. Effectively completing all academic administration. Working with the other senior staff to ensure the high-quality and smooth running of the course as a whole.
At Shrewsbury we have a strong team with many returning staff who genuinely enjoy working creatively with children and teenagers. We have been working at Shrewsbury School for many years and have built up an excellent relationship with the school.
Discovery Summer welcome students from over 60 countries each summer and limit the number from every language group. Nearly 30% of our students return each summer.
We want our students to explore and experience British culture - up to 10% of students are British, our English Student Hosts.
In our July 2018 British Council inspection, we were awarded 14 from a possible 15 strengths placing us in the top tier of accredited language schools in the UK.
We provide a supportive and friendly environment - you will prepare for the summer with our Academic Manager and take part in our Senior Staff Training Weekend from 12-14 April.
Over 60% of our staff return each summer. The majority of our senior centre staff have worked with us previously - many for over 10 years.
Please see our website for the full job description, online application form and details of the application process. To apply please complete the online application form where you can also upload your CV.
Discovery Summer is committed to ensuring the safeguarding of children and young people and we expect our staff to share this commitment. To this end, all references will be followed up, gaps in CVs must be explained satisfactorily and appropriate suitability checks will be required prior to confirmation of appointment.
-First degree or equivalent (any discipline)
Cambridge DELTA, Trinity LTCL Diploma TESOL or MA in Linguistics/TESOL (incl. 5 hours supervised teaching practice)
- Minimum 3 years' EFL teaching experience ideally with international young learners/teens
- Demonstrable experience in leading, managing and motivating a diverse team of teachers
- Can provide a clear and accurate model of the English language
- Excellent administrative, ICT, organisational and record keeping skills
- Passionate about teaching and learning
- Previous summer school experience/International school experience
- Young Learner specialism e.g. TYLEC, CELTA extension
- Experience of a holistic approach to learning e.g. IB MYP
- Experience as a teacher trainer
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- A genuine interest in delivering an innovative, stimulating and varied academic programme
- A good eye for detail and enjoys working to exacting standards
- Demonstrable team worker, willing to contribute to the overall success of the programme
- Committed to professional growth and receptive to feedback
- Energetic, creative, positive and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
Salary and Benefits
- £646 per week + guaranteed end of contract completion bonus £100 per week
- Statutory holiday £77 per week (calculated at 12.07% of gross salary)
- One off payment of £300 for pre-course work
- Set up and induction paid pro-rata
- Full board accommodation is provided worth £52.85 per week
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?
Take The Anglo 8-week summer Delta M2 course in Cancun, Mondays – Thursdays. Or the 4-week summer CELTA course in Puerto Vallarta. EARLY BIRD PRICES available now!www.cpda.anglo.mx
Train To Teach
TEFL Worldwide offers the Internationally Recognized and Accredited 4-week TEFL Course in Prague! Lifetime job assistance provided worldwide. Our graduates are teaching in 60+ countries! Highly rated by language schools and graduates.Click to find out more.
We have over 20 years’ experience delivering full-time and part-time CELTA courses and have a 98% pass rate.Click to find out more.
Learn how to teach English confidently and get the most prestigious TEFL Certificate! Highly experienced and supportive team of tutors. Very high pass rate. Special price package with accommodation and airport pick up included.Click to find out more.
The only Trinity CertTESOL in Thailand. Certified and recognised worldwide. Beautiful location. Small groups.Teaching practice in real schools. Meals and accommodation included. Job Placement available on course completion.Click to find out more.
International and accredited 4-Week TEFL course in Mexico that will upgrade your resume. The most budget-friendly way to travel! Choose ITTO TEFL - TESOL Programs!Click to find out more.
Certificate & Master Diploma Courses. Courses include: Teaching Young Learners, One-to-One, Business English, Grammar Awareness and Teaching English Online. Full Tutor Support and Employment Assistance.Click to find out more.