Director of Studies - Academic Management Opportunities
- Deadline: Fri 28 Jun 2019 00:00:00 GMT
- United Kingdom: Surrey, Warwickshire.
Thames Valley Summer Schools
Responds to 30-40% of job applications usually within 4 days
- Experience: 3 YEARS
- Positions: 3
- Degree Required
- Short Term/Summer job, Residential
Do you want to help us give our students a great time by supporting a team of enthusiastic teachers? Your motivation, professionalism and flexibility will ensure that they, and you, enjoy the whole summer school experience.
Excellent organisational skills are essential, as is a sense of humour!
We offer a friendly, professional, rewarding environment and have positions available from the end of June - come and join us!
Details of Position
We are looking for a Director of Studies for Summer 2019 to play an active role as part of our Senior Management team. You will work closely with a Senior Teacher (ST) and will be actively supported throughout the summer by the Director of Education (DOE) who is based at Windsor Head Office.
The Director of Studies is responsible for the efficient management of the academic programme.
Together with the Senior Teacher, the DoS provides strong academic support for the teaching team in their delivery of the pre-planned syllabus. S/he also organises and oversees the preparation and organisation of the Trinity GESE exams, which all students take on completion of their course, prior to departure.
In addition to academic management, the DoS is expected to play an active role as part of the Senior Management team, by supporting the Course Director, Recreation Director and Housemasters/mistresses in areas such as the Recreation Programme, including excursions, and with pastoral care in the boarding houses.
Due to the demands of this role, we are looking for Directors of Studies with a minimum of three years' EFL teaching experience, proven academic management skills and the Cambridge DELTA / Trinity Dip. TESOL or equivalent.
DoSs arrive at the centre three days before the students in order to familiarise themselves with the facilities, and prepare for the beginning of the course, including an induction for the teachers (materials supplied).
Please go to our website for a full job description, details of dates and an online application form.
We take great care choosing our schools and we look at everything they have to offer, from their location to the range of facilities. We are happy to run our 2019 courses at the following:
- St George's School, Ascot
- Epsom College
- St. John's, Leatherhead
- Rugby School
WHO YOU ARE
The essential/desirable qualifications and experience are detailed below; however, as a person, you have:
- a willingness to throw yourself into the role
- the desire to help create a great experience for our staff and students
- a genuine interest in the safety, welfare and happiness of our students
- the ability to motivate and stimulate the staff and students both inside and out of the classroom
- enthusiasm and a sense of humour
- flexibility and commitment to the team
HOW WE SUPPORT YOU
- a full-day DoS/ST briefing with the Director of Education, prior to the start of the course
- an experienced Senior Staff team, many of whom have a wealth of previous TVSS experience
- a Senior Teacher, promoted from a TVSS EFL teacher role wherever possible
- a step-by-step Director of Studies handbook (accessible prior to the course start date), covering everything you need to know about all aspects of the course, both academic and non-academic
- ongoing support, both prior to and during the course, from the Director of Education, based at our Windsor Head Office
WHAT OUR STAFF SAY
"It's been a very good year, once again! I always enjoy the experience, because of the great people I get to work with, the well-run course and the excellent location and facilities." Mike 2001 - 2018
"Excellent support from management and staff. Students seemed to have a really positive experience and it was really great fun and rewarding to teach them." Mark 2017 - 2018
"Thoroughly enjoyable three weeks! Excellent facilities, excellent staff and excellent kids! Would certainly love to be a part of another TVSS course in the future!" Paul - 2017
"TVSS gives you a chance to progress, experience responsibility and work to your strengths. I have really enjoyed seeing the students' progress and I love the way that TVSS looks for new opportunities and encourages returning staff to get involved in those opportunities. I would not work for any other summer school." Lorraine 2014 - 2017
HOW TO APPLY
We appoint on a rolling basis so early applications are always encouraged.
Please note that you will be required to complete our application form which you will find on our website. Click on Work for Us and you can view all our vacancies, read a full job description and complete our online application form.
Candidates for our senior positions will have two interviews as part of the appointment process. The first will be a Skype interview. The second may be a face-to-face interview at our Head Office in Windsor or, for those working abroad, a second Skype interview will be offered as an alternative.
Please note that due to a large number of applicants we are only able to contact successful candidates. All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK as we do not sponsor work permit visa applications. Thank you for your understanding.
OUR COMMITMENT TO SAFEGUARDING
Thames Valley Summer Schools is committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff to share this commitment. As part of our commitment:
- All references will be followed up
- Referees will be asked specifically if there is any reason why you should not be allowed to work with under 18s
- Any gaps in your employment history will need to be explained satisfactorily
- Proof of identity and qualifications will be required and photocopies of the original certificates will be taken
- All candidates are required to hold or undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and/or provide a Certificate of Good Conduct from their local police (if based overseas)
- Degree Required
- Teaching experience:
- 3 years
- Native level English speaker preferred
- British Council recognised EFL teaching qualification, e.g. Cambridge CELTA or Trinity Cert.TESOL or equivalent
- Cambridge DELTA / Trinity Dip.TESOL or British Council recognised equivalent
- a University Degree
- a minimum of three years' TEFL experience
- Experience of preparing students for EFL examinations, preferably Trinity GESE
- Academic management experience, including EFL teacher observations with oral and written feedback
- Excellent administration skills
- a native-speaker level of English
We welcome applicants with the following post-graduate qualifications, provided that they meet the validation, teaching practice and input criteria stipulated by the British Council:
- a PGCE in English / Foreign Languages and a British Council recognised ELT/TESOL certificate
- a PGCE PCET (Post Compulsory Education and Training) with an ESOL specialism and either an Additional Diploma / Diploma (ESOL) in the Lifelong Learning Sector or a British Council recognised ELT/TESOL certificate
- a Postgraduate qualification in ELT/TESOL or related subjects and a British Council recognised ELT/TESOL certificate
Please note: weekend TEFL courses and online courses with no observed teaching practice are not accepted as a British Council recognised ELT/TESOL certificate
- applicants with specialist Young Learner qualifications (eg IHCYLT, TYLEC)
- previous residential, summer school experience, especially with children
If you are not an EU citizen, you must have a valid work permit for the UK.
Salary and Benefits
- Basic weekly salary from £540 (depending on your experience/qualifications)
- 12.12% statutory holiday pay (in addition to basic salary)
- Free full-board accommodation
- Minimum 4-week contract
- DoS, Senior Staff and EFL handbooks, for reference throughout the course
- prior and ongoing support from Director of Education, based at Windsor Head Office
- Free internet access
- Access to high quality facilities at the centres
In addition, if you successfully complete a contract with you us we offer a 'Thank you' of £100 for any friend or colleague, introduced to us by you, who we also successfully employ!
Thames Valley Summer Schools
More jobs from this recruiter
Click here to visit the Thames Valley Summer Schools website
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?
Take The Anglo 8-week summer Delta M2 course in Cancun, Mondays – Thursdays. Or the 4-week summer CELTA course in Puerto Vallarta. EARLY BIRD PRICES available now!www.cpda.anglo.mx
Train To Teach
We have over 20 years’ experience delivering full-time and part-time CELTA courses and have a 98% pass rate.Click to find out more.
Learn how to teach English confidently and get the most prestigious TEFL Certificate! Highly experienced and supportive team of tutors. Very high pass rate. Special price package with accommodation and airport pick up included.Click to find out more.
The only Trinity CertTESOL in Thailand. Certified and recognised worldwide. Beautiful location. Small groups.Teaching practice in real schools. Meals and accommodation included. Job Placement available on course completion.Click to find out more.
International and accredited 4-Week TEFL course in Mexico that will upgrade your resume. The most budget-friendly way to travel! Choose ITTO TEFL - TESOL Programs!Click to find out more.
Certificate & Master Diploma Courses. Courses include: Teaching Young Learners, One-to-One, Business English, Grammar Awareness and Teaching English Online. Full Tutor Support and Employment Assistance.Click to find out more.
Join our highly-rated, accredited course. Hands-on practice teaching with adults & children. TEFL-ize yourself with TEFL International Prague and acknowledge the advantages of small courses at a large family-run language school.Click to find out more.