Director of Studies - residential
- Deadline: Thu 28 Feb 2019 00:00:00 GMT
- United Kingdom: Various.
- Discovery Summer
- Experience: 3 YEARS
- Positions: 3
- Degree Required
- Short Term/Summer job, Residential
Late June/mid-August. Student age range varies by centre (8-17 years).
Gross salary £646 gross/week + guaranteed bonus £100/week + £77/week statutory holiday pay + £300 for pre-course work + discretionary performance bonus + free board and lodging
Details of Position
We welcome students from over 60 countries each summer and limit the number from every language group. Nearly 30% of our students return each summer.
We want our students to explore and experience British culture - up to 10% of students are British, our English Student Hosts.
In our July 2018 British Council inspection, we were awarded 14 from a possible 15 strengths placing us in the top tier of accredited language schools in the UK.
We provide a supportive and friendly environment - you will prepare for the summer with our Academic Manager and take part in our Senior Staff Training Weekend in April.
Over 60% of our staff return each summer. The majority of our senior centre staff have worked with us previously - many for over 10 years.
Each centre brings together strong team-players who genuinely enjoy working creatively with children and teenagers.
Over the years we have built up excellent relationships with our host centres.
Please see our website for the full job description, online application form and details of the application process. To apply please complete the online application form where you can also upload your CV.
Discovery Summer is committed to ensuring the safeguarding of children and young people and we expect our staff to share this commitment. To this end, all references will be followed up, gaps in CVs must be explained satisfactorily and appropriate suitability checks will be required prior to confirmation of appointment.
-First degree or equivalent (any discipline)
Cambridge DELTA, Trinity LTCL Diploma TESOL or MA in Linguistics/TESOL (incl. 5 hours supervised teaching practice)
- Minimum 3 years' EFL teaching experience ideally with international young learners/teens
- Demonstrable experience in leading, managing and motivating a diverse team of teachers
- Can provide a clear and accurate model of the English language
- Excellent administrative, ICT, organisational and record keeping skills
- Passionate about teaching and learning
- Previous summer school experience/International school experience
- Young Learner specialism e.g. TYLEC, CELTA extension
- Experience of a holistic approach to learning e.g. IB MYP
- Experience as a teacher trainer
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- A genuine interest in delivering an innovative, stimulating and varied academic programme
- A good eye for detail and enjoys working to exacting standards
- Demonstrable team worker, willing to contribute to the overall success of the programme
- Committed to professional growth and receptive to feedback
- Energetic, creative, positive and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
Salary and Benefits
- Statutory holiday £77 per week (calculated at 12.07% of gross salary)
- One off payment of £300 for pre-course work + extra discretionary performance bonus
- Set up and induction (usually 3-4 days) paid pro-rata
- Full board accommodation is provided worth £52.85 per week
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?
Train To Teach
Take a Cambridge CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL course with Cactus and get a guaranteed interview. Choose from teaching positions in the UK, Spain and China, among others!Click to find out more.
TEFL Worldwide offers the Internationally Recognized and Accredited 4-week TEFL Course in Prague! Lifetime job assistance provided worldwide. Our graduates are teaching in 60+ countries! Highly rated by language schools and graduates.Click to find out more.
We have over 20 years’ experience delivering full-time and part-time CELTA courses and have a 98% pass rate.Click to find out more.
Our highly rated, accredited courses will help you access 1,000s of international and online teaching opportunities. Learn how to teach TEFL and book your course today.Click to find out more.