Director of Studies - Summer Residential
- United Kingdom: United Kingdom.
- Summer Boarding Courses Ltd
- Experience: 3 YEARS
- Positions: 2
- Degree Required
- Short Term/Summer job, Residential
Summer Boarding Courses are hiring for the position of Director of Studies for various dates from July to mid-August 2019.
Spend this summer in Oxford or Bournemouth at a selection of leading boarding schools and colleges within the University of Oxford (Accommodation and meals will be provided).
Earn a competitive salary from £700 per week
*As ranked by EL Gazette based on 2018 British Council inspection results.
Details of Position
In 2018, The British Council awarded SBC the maximum number of Strengths in the 15 areas it assesses. As a result, SBC became the first and only multicentre summer school provider to be awarded 15 out of 15 areas of strength in a full inspection, thereby confirming us as one of the foremost course providers in the UK.
Based residentially at one of our summer schools, the Director of Studies (DoS) works six days out of seven and will have one full day off per week. The DoS of an international residential summer school will have a passion for the subject and genuine enjoyment of working with young international learners. Although the DoS's main responsibilities concern the Academic Programme, they will also be expected to have an awareness of all aspects of the management of the course and be willing to address situations whenever they arise.
The DoS is responsible to the Summer School Director and will:
• Take overall responsibility for implementing and monitoring the performance of the Academic
• Attend SBC Management Training prior to arriving at the school, in order to be familiar with all aspects of the Academic programme.
• Be responsible for pre-arrival academic setup and effectively induct teachers at the beginning of the course
• Set up the Teachers Preparation room with appropriate signage and maintain it as a functioning workspace
• Manage the testing and placement in classes of new arrivals
• Support, manage and guide teachers through lesson observations, feedback and workshops
• Fulfil all administrative duties as directed
• Keep clear and accurate records of class attendance and work covered
• Hold daily teachers meetings
• Carry out lesson observations and feedback
• Carry out regular teaching workshops and ideas sessions
• Ensure appropriate standards of student discipline are maintained
• Deal sensitively with enquiries on classes and levels
• Teach when necessary to provide cover for absent teachers
• Ensure reports and leavers certificates are produced on time
• Organise the Intensive English classes in the afternoons
• Provide feedback on the SBC syllabus and academic processes at the end of the summer
All members of staff have a general duty of care for the students at the summer school and as such will be expected to carry out the following duties:
• Work closely on a daily basis with the other members of the management team to ensure the successful running of the school
• Assist with arrivals and departures, welcoming students and parents at the school
• Communicate with parents via e-mail, over the phone and face-to-face in a friendly and professional manner, handling any enquiries and requests efficiently
• Assist with welfare and pastoral duties including house, meal-time and evening duties when required
• Have an awareness of all aspects of the management of the summer school and how the Academic Programme fits in with other parts of the programme
All members of staff employed by SBC will be expected to bring certain key qualities to the operation. Generally, there must be a real interest in working with children and in particular a strong empathy for working with international children. We look for staff to understand the responsibilities involved with residential positions and therefore be enthusiastic, approachable, supportive, diplomatic and importantly, flexible.
In accordance with the British Council accreditation scheme, all Directors of Studies must possess the required qualifications outlined below.
• Educated to degree level or equivalent
• Possess a TEFLQ qualification
• Have considerable TEFL experience
• Experience of managing staff in an educational capacity
• Previous residential summer school experience essential
Salary and Benefits
Please note contract dates will vary slightly based on the individual contract.
Management training: 3 days, week commencing 17th June 2019
Contract dates will commence the first or second week of July and run for the course duration
Due to the nature of the role, the Director of Studies will work six days out of seven.
Remuneration: From £700 per week, depending on experience
SBC has an excellent annual staff returner rate - 83% of our 2018 Management Team having worked for us previously as Managers, Teachers, Activity Leaders, College Mentors and House Parents. This, as well as significant training for all staff, ensures that our staff and students are fully supported and empowered to create a positive and mutually beneficial environment.
WAYS IN WHICH WE SUPPORT OUR MANAGERS:
• Fully paid DBS check
• Experienced and supportive Head Office team
• Paid Pre-summer Management training
• Online safeguarding and working with international children training
• Extensive on-site training for their staff team prior to student arrival
• Professional, fun and supportive environment
SHOULD YOU BE SUCCESSFUL
Any gaps in your CV will be enquired about and must be explained satisfactorily
You will provide the details of two recent and relevant referees who we will contact
You will be required to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS), and equivalent if living outside the UK
Summer Boarding Courses is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We have a comprehensive Child Protection Policy and procedures in place which all employees, volunteers and contractors are expected to adhere to.
**Please note we can only consider applicants who are already eligible to work in the United Kingdom.
Summer Boarding Courses Ltd
More Company Information
Click here to visit the
Summer Boarding Courses Ltd website
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?
Train To Teach
Looking for an opportunity to expand your career choices at home or abroad, fund your travels or attain an internationally-recognised TESOL qualification? If yes, then one of our flagship TESOL courses could be for you! BA (Hons) TESOL & Linguistics MA Education with TESOL.Click to find out more.
Take a Cambridge CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL course with Cactus and get a guaranteed interview. Choose from teaching positions in the UK, Spain and China, among others!Click to find out more.
TEFL Worldwide offers the Internationally Recognized and Accredited 4-week TEFL Course in Prague! Lifetime job assistance provided worldwide. Our graduates are teaching in 60+ countries! Highly rated by language schools and graduates.Click to find out more.
We have over 20 years’ experience delivering full-time and part-time CELTA courses and have a 98% pass rate.Click to find out more.
Learn how to teach English confidently and get the most prestigious TEFL Certificate! Highly experienced and supportive team of tutors. Very high pass rate. Special price package with accommodation and airport pick up included.Click to find out more.
The only Trinity CertTESOL in Thailand. Certified and recognised worldwide. Beautiful location. Small groups.Teaching practice in real schools. Meals and accommodation included. Job Placement available on course completion.Click to find out more.
International and accredited 4-Week TEFL course in Mexico that will upgrade your resume. The most budget-friendly way to travel! Choose ITTO TEFL - TESOL Programs!Click to find out more.