Teaching Assistant on Erasmus+ training scheme in Seville FULL expenses paid
- Deadline: Mon 23 Jul 2018 00:00:00 GMT
- Spain, Seville, Spain (with prep in London, UK)
- Red Ochre
- Experience: NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Positions: 12
- Freelance Position
- Short Term/Summer job, Residential
Details of Position
Teach Seville is an Erasmus+ programme we set up to give teachers who have recently got their TESOL, TEFL or CELTA, practical teaching experience within a supported environment - in Seville, Spain (Spanish language skills are not required).
Our scheme is a year long EU funded programme run in partnership by Red Ochre in London and 3Si in Seville. We are recruiting for our first group of teachers who will have their placements between September-December 2018. If that sounds good, read on!
Teach Seville provides 60 placements in 2018-2020 for you to use your teaching skills in English academies (such as Yes! OC Languages, Conecta Idiomas, OUIEA, Sarah English and others) in Seville, Spain.
Here's how it works:
1) Placements last 97 days. Dates for group one to be confirmed and will be approximately from September 13th - December 19th 2018.
2)) You will get FULL expenses paid (see below).
3) Train and teach in well known English academies in Seville. Placements will be modified to suit individuals but generally you'll start off with an orientation week, move to shadowing activities before assisting and running your own classes. All our academies have hosted our trainee teachers before and will provide a mentor and a range of teaching experiences so you can develop your skills and self understanding.
4) Your own room in an apartment in central Seville. You'll stay in the Macarena district of Seville with your own room with a bed, desk etc. and share a lounge and kitchen with two or three others who are also on Teach Seville. If you're used to house or flat sharing you'll love where we place participants and enjoy the local area too.
5) Continuous in country support from a friendly team who've done it. Our partners, 3Si are based in Seville. They are an Anglo-Spanish team full of staff that have teaching English qualifications. They'll support you in your placement and your care whilst in Spain. You will receive preparation training from Red Ochre at our offices in London before you go and orientation when you arrive including tours of Seville and your local neighbourhood as well as 1-1s about your work placement. You'll also get a mentor in your academy. This means day to day and week to week you will have support when you need it.
6) Free Spanish lessons whilst in Seville.
7) A preparation training day at our offices in London before your placement so you're ready to roll when you arrive in Seville.
WHY HAVE WE SET THIS UP?
In the UK, there is a need for teachers with high quality, internationally recognised English language teaching qualifications. Recent census figures showed that across England 1.7% of the population (900,000 people) have either no, or poor spoken English. These people face significant barriers in participating fully in local, national and European life. There is a need for high quality, trained teachers who can think creatively, but also with the ability to innovate and be entrepreneurial in how they teach, where and when. In this way, the percentage of the population with no or poor English is more likely to be decreased.
WHY WOULD YOU DO IT?
If living in an incredible city like Seville with support and funding (and post "Brexit" a scheme that isn't going to be around much longer) isn't enough...
We know that after qualifying, for most English teachers experience is often isolated to on the job progression. This scheme will give you practical experience in well known academies in Seville, with a mentor in the school to guide your development. We also want you to try out different ways of teaching and with a range of students so that you can use the scheme to really develop. And if you can help to teach the Sevillanos English, you'll also be opening possibilities for them too.
Anyone with a TESOL, CELTA or TEFL qualification, gained after June 2017.
You must be a UK National or other EU citizen and you must live in the UK. Due to funding rules we cannot accept applications from Spanish citizens (as this is the location of our project). For administration purposes, you must be based in the UK, with a UK bank account and address (again due to our EU funding rules for Erasmus).
We are looking for people who are kind, curious and committed to English teaching and to enjoying their time in Seville and contributing something positive whilst there. And people who are happy to share and live with others.
In previous groups we have had people who already have a little teaching experience abroad and we have some people with a qualification but zero teaching experience. The scheme has enough variety to cater to both. We have had people with zero Spanish skills (you are supported to learn and have help on hand if you need it) and people who are fluent.
The schools where we have placements are: Conecta Idiomas, OC Languages, OUIEA, 3Si, Yes, Sarah English and Lope de Vega Colegio. You are welcome to look these up and tell us if you have any preference and you are welcome to simply apply and we'll talk more about the schools at interview stage.
To apply for Teach Seville, you'll need to visit our website (link below), download an application form and complete it. Then send this along with your CV and a scan/photo of your teaching certificate by 23rd July at the latest. If you miss this deadline please get in touch anyway to register interest for future schemes.
Martin from Red Ochre and Fatima from 3Si will interview candidates by audio Skype before choosing 12. If you have any questions please get in touch.
We have very minimum resources but always ensure we reply to everyone who applies - it may just take time however.
Salary and Benefits
- Accommodation (rent, tax, furnishings etc),
- Flights to and from the UK, booked by Red Ochre
- Bills (gas, electricity, tax, water etc...),
- Free Spanish classes and access to excellent "intercambio" language exchange evenings.
- 24/7 in country support, including an orientation when you arrive where you will get tours of the city and 1-1s about your placement.
- Travel insurance for the 97 days
- 100 Euros per week for your food costs and local travel.
- Airport transfers in Seville.
- Preparation training and support to help you get ready.
BENEFITS FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF TEACH SEVILLE ALUMNI
Some nice things people who've been on Teach Seville said:
"It has been a great pleasure to meet all the lovely people that run or take part in this programme. It was nice to be welcomed with so much care since we put our feet on Andalusian ground. Love the area where we live, love the flat, love my housemates and the school where I will spend my time in the next few months developing my professional life." Participant September 2017
I cannot recommend this scheme enough. I have had the opportunity to work in other countries before but this was by far the best experience socially and professionally. Participant, Teach Seville, Dec 2015
Thought you might like to know I'll be moving to Seville in August/September to take up a position in a language school. Can't wait!" Participant, March 2017
A fantastic opportunity to live and work abroad in a beautiful and vibrant city. I had an amazing two months developing as an English teacher but also being immersed in a new culture and meeting lots of great new people.Participant, May 2016
I highly recommend the Teach Seville! Program. I felt well supported and thoroughly enjoyed my time in Seville, because its a unique opportunity that I will value tremendously throughout my future career. I am very grateful for being accepted onto the scheme, and I hope that it continues to get funding for years to come, because I think that its something that will be invaluable for so many fledgling teachers. Participant, May 2016
I had a really great time in Seville, and it helped me greatly to decide what I want to do in the future, and how to go about finding further work in the country. Participant, Dec 2015
I just wanted to say thanks for everything and for letting me be a part of Teach Seville. It really was an amazing experience and provided me with exactly the experience I needed to start working as an English teacher. Aside from that, it was loads of fun and I was able to visit a lot of beautiful places! Ive got a job for the summer in Valencia so Ill be heading back to Spain next weekend, I almost cant believe it. Participant May 2017
Many thanks for taking the time out today to wrap up our placement with Teach Seville! The whole experience, from the city, to the school, to the people I've met over the past two months has been fantastic.I wanted to take this time to thank you for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this scheme. I am very grateful for the experience, and it has helped open my eyes to what it is really like to live in another country, not simply to visit it as a tourist.I would recommend the scheme to anyone that asked.Participant May 2017
I just want to say one more thank you. I've had an absolute whale of a time in Sevilla. Life here has been great; I've met loads of great people, improved my Spanish dramatically,I couldn't have wished for better colleagues. My students were great and I enjoyed every single lesson.Participant, Teach Seville, Dec 2015
Today while I was preparing my lessons for tomorrow, I felt how much I will miss that place, the academy and especially my students and the time spent with them. Some of them are planning to visit London during the summer, so I might have chance to see them again - which makes me happy.I'd like to say a BIG THANK YOU for everything what you have done for me and for us as a group. Thanks to you I had a really unforgettable experience which was a huge plus for my career prospects and life."Participant, Teach Seville,March 2016
More Company Information
Red Ochre is a consultancy company that works to support organisations delivering social change across the UK and worldwide. Red Ochre is a social enterprise. Our social purpose and objectives are central to what we do and how we do it. Red Ochre works with individuals and organisations that deliver social change and have compatible values. As part of this we run Teach Seville, an Erasmus+ scheme for English teachers to gain experience, skills and confidence to reach isolated individuals.
Click here to visit the
Red Ochre website
Send Job via Email
Please enter the email address of the person you wish to send this job to.
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?
Train To Teach
Our expert tutors will help you gain essential knowledge, hands-on teaching experience and classroom confidence for a successful teaching career.Click to find out more.