Residential Summer Teacher/Activity Leader Positions
- Deadline: Thu 01 Jun 2017 00:00:00 GMT
- United Kingdom, Guestling, near Hastings
- Buckswood Overseas Summer School
- Experience: NO PREFERENCE
- Positions: 20
- Degree Required
- Short Term/Summer job, Residential
Details of Position
We are currently recruiting TEFL Teachers who will also partake in activities and excursions for our Spring Course and Summer School. The contract dates are as follows:
Spring Course - 23rd March to 14th April 2018
Summer School - 28th June to 18th August 2018
All students are residential and will join our courses that include:
- 20 hours of English per week
- Two full day and two half day excursions per week
- Museum and attraction entrance fees
- Full Afternoon and Evening Activity Programme
- All course materials
- Full board accommodation
- Student travel insurance
- Laundry service
- BOSS wristband, BOSS water bottle, BOSS folder, BOSS diary and BOSS t-shirt
Your duties will comprise of two components: classroom teaching and the supervision of the Activity and Excursion Programme.
Nineteen hours of your contracted time will be teaching and five hours will be dedicated to lesson planning. Teaching will generally take place between 09:30 and 15:00 over 5 days.
Activity and Excursion Components
Twenty-four hours will be dedicated to our Activity and Excursion Programme consisting of one full day excursion per week and onsite activities/half day trips.
You will also be allocated specific duties, normally by the Summer School Director, to be carried out at specific times. These will be your sole responsibility and you will be expected to carry them out actively and responsibly.
Typically these duties will involve:
- Taking an active role in the safeguarding of our students
- Orienting and helping new students as instructed
- Facilitating assembly at points and prearranged times
- Actively supervising defined areas at specified times as required
- Supervising students on excursions and ensuring their safe transport
- Supervising and taking part in activities for example, sports, discos, talent nights, etc.
- Airport duties as specified
- Patrolling school or site boundaries and ensuring that students to not leave the premises without supervision and permission
- Upholding the reputation of Buckswood Overseas Summer School
It is considered impossible to define every duty, and the teacher/supervisor is required to do whatever is necessary to ensure the safety and happiness of the students and the smooth running of the course.
In a general sense, you will remain on duty during your entire time on the premises. This means that you will be expected to use maturity and judgement to respond appropriately not only to emergencies, but also to any situation where you are the nearest person to hand, or the first to become aware of any situation which requires supervisory action.
At induction, teachers can indicate whether they wish to be included in the list of staff who would like to be offered additional work to maximise earnings. This will enable the Summer School Director to take this into account as early as possible in the planning of weekly timetables.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Our Equal Opportunities Policy states:
In the recruitment, selection, training, appraisal, development and promotion of staff, the only consideration must be that the individual meets, or is likely to meet the requirements of the programme or course or post. The requirements being met, no employee will be discriminated against on the basis of their sex, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality (within current legislation), age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, caring or parental responsibilities, or beliefs on matters such as religion or politics.
Staff Recruitment Policy
To ensure that employees working are suitable for working with children, the following procedures will be followed:
- All staff must submit a CV and explain any gaps or inconsistencies.
- Two references will be needed (at least one in writing) to confirm the employees work history, suitability for the work offered and their character. The reference request clearly asks if the referee has any reason to believe that the employee is unsuitable for work with children.
- A Child Protection Self Declaration Form must be completed and returned with the offer letter signed by the employee and Summer School Director.
- The Staff Handbook which accompanies the each contract, clearly states child welfare and individual privacy. All members of staff must follow these policies.
- The Staff Handbook also clearly states conduct and this is detrimental to the welfare and safety of the children and will result in Summary Dismissal.
- All staff will provide relevant documentation and complete a DBS disclosure.
Weekend TEFL courses and online courses with no observed teaching practice do not meet British Council standards.
Experience of teaching juniors on a residential course would be beneficial but enthusiasm, motivation and being part of a team are just as important. We welcome newly qualified teachers looking for a first teaching position who can demonstrate that they can be a valuable member of the team.
Salary and Benefits
- £380 per week
- 12.1% holiday pay
- Weekly professional development sessions
Buckswood Overseas Summer School
More Company Information
It’s easy to see why kids and teens would want to spend their summer at Buckswood Overseas Summer School (BOSS). It’s an experience of a lifetime that offers more than meets the eye! Of course our English lessons are extremely important but so too is the thrill of trying new activities and visiting new places. The friendships that are made make it such a special experience for our students. Here at BOSS, we take pride in helping to shape the lives of our students and, by encouraging confidence through experience, we allow them to challenge themselves through excitement and adventure as well as developing social and life skills in a happy and pleasant environment. BOSS is not only about experiencing new things and shaping lives, it is also about having lots of fun and being able to take your stories home to share with your friends and family. Our campus in summer is an amazing place, full of life, activities and energy! Who wouldn’t want to spend their summer at BOSS?
Click here to visit the
Buckswood Overseas Summer School website
Send Job via Email
Please enter the email address of the person you wish to send this job to.
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?
Become TEFL qualified in sunny Malaga in southern Spain or wonderful Rome. Get your passport to live and work in Spain, Italy or anywhere around the globe. EARLY BIRD FEE!APPLY NOW!
Train To Teach
Learn to Teach English Abroad with our accredited, tutor assisted, all-inclusive Online TEFL/TESOL Courses – Certificate & Master Diploma. Teach and Travel the World. View our Specials - Enroll Today.www.onlinecoursestefl.com