EFL & TEFLQ Teachers required for Stonyhurst Summer Language School 2017
- United Kingdom, Lancashire
- Stonyhurst Language School
- Experience: 1 YEAR
- Positions: 5
- Degree Required
- Short Term/Summer job, Residential
Details of Position
Stonyhurst College is a co-educational day and boarding school set in 2,500 acres of Lancashire countryside. Founded in 1593, the College has been welcoming and educating students from around the world for over 400 years. The College itself enjoys an excellent reputation for its high academic results, exceptional pastoral care, unrivalled facilities, extensive range of extra-curricular activities and Jesuit values. Stonyhurst Language School offers two consecutive 2-weeks English Language Courses for 10 – 16 year old international students. Course One will run from Friday 7th July – Friday 21st July 2017 and Course Two from Friday 21st July – Friday 4th August 2017.
Each 2-week course will include 23 hours of high quality English teaching per week. It will deliver at 5 levels: Elementary / Pre-Intermediate / Intermediate / Upper Intermediate / Advanced. The maximum class size will be 12 and all students will take an assessment test on arrival. Although there is a good range of teaching materials and resources, including class sets of course books, teachers will be expected to plan their own lessons and produce materials of their own to supplement their lessons.
Duties and Responsibilities
To teach a maximum of 23 hours per week and to be responsible for a number of supervisory duties, including boarding.
1. To prepare, plan and teach English lessons to a high standard, based on the individual needs of the students, and with a student-centred approach to learning. Support to achieve this will be given by the Director of Studies.
2. Applicants who have a TEFLQ will be asked to provide extra help and support to less experienced teachers and to deliver a teacher development session during the course.
3. To follow the framework syllabus with the focus on language skills and interactive language use.
4. To complete and keep up to date the administrative paperwork as necessary (end of course reports, classroom registers, marking, class records of work).
5. To maintain classroom discipline, keep classrooms safe and tidy, display students work, maintain personal and student punctuality and begin and end lessons according to the timetable.
6. To participate in the Appraisal scheme, be observed by a member of the SMT, and engage in subsequent discussions.
7. Attend staff meetings: daily at 08:30 - for briefing and discussion of academic and welfare matters and one in-house teachers’ meeting/training session per week.
8. Set homework of 45 minutes duration on three nights per week, and ensure that homework is corrected and feedback is provided to students.
9. Monitor the performance of students at all times.
Activity and Social Programme Responsibilities:
1. To participate in a supervisory role at one afternoon activity and one evening entertainment per week.
2. Take part in the end of course 'Talent Show' as part of a staff ensemble.
All staff must have an overriding responsibility for the students’ welfare and safety at all times during the course including times outside the normal duty rota.
1. To have read and understood the Stonyhurst policies concerning pastoral care and the protection of children set out in the Staff Handbook.
2. To have read and passed Level 1 of the Lancashire Safeguarding Children Board E Learning Course before the course commences. A free link will be sent to successful applicants.
3. To maintain student safety as a top priority and follow the Stonyhurst guidelines on Health and Safety contained in the Staff Handbook.
4. To be diligent in carrying out supervisory duties according to the guidelines in the Staff Handbook.
5. To take on the role and responsibilities of a night duty warden as described in the Staff Handbook.
6. To carry out a minimum of 3 overnight duties during the 2 week course.
7. To wear the ID’s and Language School clothing when on duty.
1. To participate in the full-day Induction programme prior to the opening of the School.
2. To be a member of the airport transfer/school reception teams.
QualificationsThe successful candidate would have:
1. An RSA CELTA qualification, or a Trinity TESOL certificate or equivalent.
2. The TEFLI (TEFL initiated) qualification will have at least 100 hours instruction at a British Council accredited teacher training school, 6 hours practical teaching assessment which has to be externally modified by a British Council accepted examining body such as Cambridge and Trinity, as well as including assessments of written assignments.
3. TEFLQ candidates will have a TEFLQ qualification, (Cambridge DELTA or Trinity DipTESOL or equivalent).
4. A first degree
5. A high standard of spoken and written English equivalent to CEF level C2/CPE/IELTS 8-0.
6. EFL Candidates - One year’s uninterrupted EFL teaching experience in a British Council accredited school, or, if you are a newly qualified teacher you must have a CELTA pass A or B.
TEFLQ Candidates - Five year's uninterrupted EFL teaching experience in a British Council accredited school.
7. A willingness to undertake duties other than teaching if required.
8. To be available for a 4 week period, including a full-day induction, (period of employment will be from July 6th to August 4th inclusive)
Desirable but not essential are:
1. Has worked with teenagers whose first language is not English.
2. Is computer literate.
3. Is enthusiastic and adaptable.
4. Experience of teaching teenagers in either a Language School or year-round academic school.
5. Experience of working in a summer language school.
Salary and BenefitsTEFLQ (Delta & Diploma) qualified teachers salary is £558.00 per week maximum.
EFL initiated (TEFLI) teachers salary is £457 per week maximum (subject to qualifications and experience).
In addition, attendance at the pre-course Induction Day will be paid on a pro rata basis, as will the 2 day holiday entitlement.
The hours to be worked average 48 hours per week over the 2 week course. This includes time allocated to preparation, marking and administration. There will be a day off each week incorporated into the timetable for all EFL Teachers.
The contract would be for the duration of the course (i.e. 4 weeks from Friday 7th July – Friday 4th August 2017).
The salary includes private, single room with shared bathroom accommodation and the provision of all meals for the duration of your contract. In the interests of creating a strong team atmosphere at the summer school, we do prefer staff to stay at the College, although we will consider a non-residential option in exceptional circumstances. However, there will be no alteration in the salary for staff who prefer to reside outside the College.
Stonyhurst Language School
More Company Information
Stonyhurst College is a co-educational day and boarding school set in 2,500 acres of Lancashire countryside. Founded in 1593, the College has been welcoming and educating students from around the world for over 400 years. The College itself enjoys an excellent reputation for its high academic results, exceptional pastoral care, unrivalled facilities, extensive range of extra-curricular activities and Jesuit values. Summer 2012 will see the launch of the Stonyhurst Language School, which will offer two consecutive 2-week English language courses for 11 – 16 year old international students. Course One will run from Thursday 5th July – Thursday 19th July 2012 and Course Two from Thursday 19th July – Thursday 2nd August 2012.
- +44 (0)1254 827270
- +44 (0)1254 826976
Click here to visit the
Stonyhurst Language School website
- Contact person:
- Jo-anne Brown, Language School Manager
Send Job via Email
Please enter the email address of the person you wish to send this job to.
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?
Train To Teach
International and accredited 4-Week TEFL course in Mexico that will upgrade your resume. The most budget-friendly way to travel!www.tefl.com.mx