Assistant Director of Studies
- United Kingdom, M1 6DN
- The Essential English Centre
- Experience: 2 YEARS
- Positions: 1
- Degree Required
Details of Position
The Essential English Centre is a professional, boutique English language school in Manchester city centre. Accredited by the British Council, we are also the first Quality English licensed school in Manchester, highlighting our status as a high quality independent provider in the north west of England. We offer English language programmes to adult students all year round, as well as a smaller amount of provision for the junior market. We can welcome up to 130 students at any one time, operating at capacity in July and August. We pride ourselves on our friendly, personalised approach to customer service, where students feel at home and welcomed as part of The EEC family, all while maintaining an excellent academic experience. As the school continues to grow, we are seeking an experienced teacher to deliver outstanding teaching and learning to our students, and to assist the Director of Studies in the academic management of the school. The postholder should hold a DELTA (or equivalent, e.g. MA TEFL/EFL) qualification, or be currently working towards one.
This varied role will suit an experienced teacher who is committed to delivering excellent teaching to his/her students, and under the direction of the Director of Studies, will be actively involved in academic management duties. The postholder will support the Director of Studies on a daily basis, ensuring that high standards of teaching and learning are consistently met. For this role, he/she will manage a full-time teaching timetable (typically 25 hours per week, but sometimes may be more). In addition, he/she will also provide leadership to the school’s teaching team. Amongst other duties, he/she will conduct lesson observations, assist with the delivery of day-to-day academic processes, mentor new teachers and be involved in the school’s CPD programme. Alongside this, the postholder will be involved in other areas of the school’s delivery, including welfare, customer service and its social programme.
Teaching and Learning
• To be an experienced and inspirational as a classroom teacher, with a minimum of 2 years’ teaching experience of General English and preferably with experience of teaching examination preparation and ESP programmes.
• To be passionate about driving up standards in teaching and learning and to have a clear understanding of excellence in teaching.
• To manage a full-time teaching timetable across a variety of programmes as the business requires, including General English, exam preparation, and ESP modules.
• To deliver all lessons in accordance with the school’s policies, curricula and schemes of work.
The postholder will work closely with the Director of Studies in the following areas of academic delivery and will be expected to assist the DoS with:
• Overseeing and raising the already high academic standards across the school
• Ensuring teachers are matched appropriately to courses
• Appropriately timetabling students, teachers, courses and classrooms
• Ensuring that formalised arrangements are in place for the covering of absent teachers
• Effectively observing and monitoring teaching staff, including appropriate guidance and support in line with The EEC’s Observation, Monitoring and Feedback Policy.
• Providing continuous onsite support for teachers when required, both academically and where appropriate, pastorally
• Playing a supportive role in employment of new staff
• Carrying out inductions for new teaching staff and ensuring each induction-related checklist is up to date and completed
• the running of academic meetings with teaching staff
• Playing a key role in EEC accreditation inspections (e.g. British Council)
• the management of administrative procedures, including the updating of registers by teachers on a daily basis, and the implementation of the school’s attendance policy.
• To create a positive and friendly atmosphere in the school each day
• To act as an ambassador for the school at all times
• To assist with customer service delivery including resolving student issues and being available to speak to potential customers and partners
• To play an active role in the school’s social programme, and to contribute positively and significantly to the wider extracurricular and pastoral life of the school
• Along with other staff members, to man the school emergency phone on a rota basis
• May be expected to partake in partner and agent visits to the school
This is a non-exhaustive list of the duties of the above role and the person specification of the job holder. The Company reserves the right to amend this document as the needs of the business require.
The postholder should be/have:
• An effective and results-driven teacher with high personal standards and high expectations
• An ambitious person with great energy, commitment and an interest in leading a team in an academic setting
• A team player with sound interpersonal skills and sensitivity
• An ability and eagerness to participate fully in the life of a busy language school
• An ability to maintain confidentiality
Any offer of employment by us will be subject to satisfactory references and criminal record checks. The Essential English Centre is committed to a practice where children, young people and vulnerable adults are protected from harm and we will carefully follow our procedures of recruitment to ensure that all members of staff and students are protected.
• Minimum 2 years’ full-time EFL teaching experience within recognised, accredited educational institutions, including some experience of teaching examination preparation courses
• Educated to degree level as a minimum
• Recognised Level 5 EFL-related teaching qualification
• Recognised Level 7 EFL-related qualification (eg DELTA or equivalent, such as MA TEFL/EFL), or be working towards one
• Proficiency in the use of IT/- a demonstrable interest in technology and an ability to use technology in an educational environment
• Experience of using Smartboard or other interactive technology teaching systems
• Experience of teaching of ESP and Business English programmes
• Recognised Level 2 or above qualification(s) in safeguarding
• First Aid qualification(s) from a recognised training provider
Salary and Benefits£16 - 17K dependent on experience plus holiday pay
The Essential English Centre
More Company Information
The Essential English Centre is an independently-owned, boutique English language school in Manchester city centre. Accredited by the British Council, we are also hold the Quality English marque, highlighting our status as a high quality independent school in the UK. With programmes in General English, exam preparation and ESP, our team work closely together to provide our students with high quality in teaching and learning alongside excellent, friendly and personal customer service.
109 Portland Street
Click here to visit the
The Essential English Centre website
- Contact person:
- Bairbre Walsh, Director
Send Job via Email
Please enter the email address of the person you wish to send this job to.
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?
Train To Teach
Become TEFL qualified in sunny Malaga in southern Spain or wonderful Rome. Get your passport to live and work in Spain, Italy or anywhere around the globe. EARLY BIRD FEE!APPLY NOW!