Summer College Tutors
- United Kingdom, Oxford
- Summer Boarding Courses Ltd
- Experience: 3 YEARS
- Positions: 14
- Degree Required
- Short Term/Summer job, Residential
Details of Position
All College Tutors work a 12 session week, with a session being either a morning, afternoon or evening. These 12 sessions are made up of teaching one of the morning Elective subjects (5), plus one of the Afternoon Seminars (2). They will also be involved in the excursions (2) and discussion groups revolving around the guest speakers or academic excursions (2), plus one other session which could be an evening social or graduation event (1).
Outside of scheduled sessions tutors will have an awareness of their responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the students during meals, break times, and when in the accommodation areas. All tutors will usually receive one full day off per week.
College Tutors report directly to the Director of Studies (DOS) and will -
• Become familiar with the SBC syllabus for their specific subjects, materials and resources during induction period
• Teach lessons using the SBC syllabus and other appropriate materials
• Maintain administrative systems by preparing and keeping class lists, records of work, class registers and preparing certificates and reports
• Attend to the individual needs of the students to ensure that maximum benefit is gained from their particular course
• Continuously assess student, returning marked work and giving feedback
• Manage the classroom behaviour effectively and ensure all students participate
• Attend meetings as requested by the summer school management
• Attend tutor development workshops
• Be observed by the DOS
Extra-Curricular Programme Duties:
• Lead students on excursions following the pre-arranged itinerary
• Assist with running guest speaker sessions and academic excursions
All members of staff have a general duty to care for the students at the college and as such will be
expected to carry out the following duties:
• Assist with meal time, break time supervision and student sign-in where required
• Support the College Mentors supervising students in the college accommodation
• Wake up and lights out duties when on weekly house duty
• Help ensure that the students do not breach the rules of the school
• Assist at any time, whether on duty or not, with an emergency situation, or where a student is ill or injured
• Engage with the students outside of classes and assigned activity sessions in a friendly but professional manner
QualificationsWe are recruiting College Tutors for the following subjects:
• General English
• Business & Leadership
• Politics & Economics
• International Relations
Essential Qualifications & Experience:
• BA in languages/related discipline or subject related bachelor's degree (e.g. bachelor's degree in International Relations, Business or Medicine)
• Trinity CertTESOL/CELTA certificate
• Minimum of 3 years post TEFL/ CELTA experience
• Previous residential summer school experience
• Subject related teaching experience depending on the course (e.g. experience teaching Business, Law, or Politics & Economics)
• Experience of leading and organising young people in social events, sports, and/or on excursions
• Trinity Diploma/DELTA certificate or Masters in TESOL
Salary and BenefitsContract Details
Dates: 29th June - 14th August
Pay: All Oxford College Tutors receive £550 per week week (including holiday allowance at 12.07% of basic pay) plus accommodation at the college and full board
The various positions available range in dates but will all start in July and complete in August. Please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss specific preferences.
*In keeping with SBC Safeguarding procedures, we only accept applications submitted using our online application form which can be accessed through the InstaApply function*
SHOULD YOU BE SUCCESSFUL...
• We will require the contact details of two recent and relevant referees who we will contact.
• Any gaps in your CV will be enquired about, and must be explained satisfactorily.
• You will be required to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (or equivalent if living outside the UK), and you will be asked to sign the Children’s Act 1989 declaration safeguarding the welfare of children, and state that you have no known reason why you cannot work with children.
• 3 types of official identification including passport and certificates (either originals or certified copies) will be required for our records.
**Please note due to the nature of the role, native English Speakers are preferred. We cannot offer work permits to candidates who are not eligible to work in the United Kingdom.
Due to level of interest in the positions only applicants successful for interview can be contacted, thank you for your understanding
Summer Boarding Courses is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We have a comprehensive Child Protection Policy and procedures in place which all employees, volunteers and contractors are expected to adhere to. To view Summer Boarding Safeguarding policy, please follow the link below;
Summer Boarding Courses Ltd
More Company Information
Summer Boarding Courses Ltd, in conjunction with leading UK boarding schools, operates high quality summer courses for international students. Our international Summer Schools schools & Summer Colleges: SBC Oxford, Dukes, Headington Oxford & Oxford University colleges aim to provide every student with the highest standard of teaching, alongside an unique social programme ensuring students have an incredible summer that will prepare them for the next stage of their education
Unit E, Home Farm
- 01943 878518
- 01943 878518
Click here to visit the
Summer Boarding Courses Ltd website
- Contact person:
- Sam Holderness, Director of Operations
Send Job via Email
Please enter the email address of the person you wish to send this job to.
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?
Train To Teach
Become TEFL qualified in sunny Malaga in southern Spain or wonderful Rome. Get your passport to live and work in Spain, Italy or anywhere around the globe. EARLY BIRD FEE!APPLY NOW!