Young Learners EFL Teacher
- Spain, Palma Del Río (Córdoba)
- English Street Escuela de Inglés
- Experience: NOT APPLICABLE
- Positions: 1
- Degree Required
Job SummaryJob title: Young Learners EFL Teacher
Location: Palma Del Río, in the province of Córdoba
Salary: 944 euros after tax
Days: Monday to Friday
Hours: 20 per week
Contract duration: Sep. 15th - June 15th
Paid holidays: 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week at Easter + local and national holidays
Age groups: 7-8 years old + 1 group of teenagers preparing for the FCE exam
Levels: Beginner and Upper Intermediate (A1 and B2 CEFR)
Class size: 4-10 students per class
Details of Position
Required skills and experience:
- No previous teaching experience is necessary, but is certainly beneficial
- A willingness to learn is essential
- Organisation and planning skills are essential
- Problem solving skills and independent thinking are highly appreciated
- Creativity is important
- A fun and outgoing nature is important, and it is essential that you enjoy working with children
- Knowledge of Spanish is not essential for the job, but will be beneficial for the teacher's social life when living in Spain
As one of our teachers, you will be in charge of 9 classes (4 -10 students per class). Each class follows a textbook, which will provide you with the contents and resources you need to prepare your lessons. 90% of your students are aged 7-8 years old and there is one group of teenagers preparing for the Cambridge FCE exam (upper intermediate, level B2). You will receive support undertaking your new responsibilities as a teacher.
- Familiarise yourself with the language level of your students and set appropriate learning goals
- Prepare and deliver lessons which lead to the achievement of these learning goals
- Monitor student progress and keep records of assessment
- Keep a record of student attendance
- For students aged 11 years +, set and correct homework once a week
- For lower primary classes, incorporate our Jolly Phonics reading programme into lessons frequently and systematically
- For exam preparation classes, ensure the exam syllabus is fully covered and practised
- Attend training workshops and actively participate in your development as a teacher e.g. consult us about doubts you have, experiment with new ways to resolve problems and take note of how successful they have been and why (not), share what you have learned with your fellow teachers
Duration of contract:
- Attendance on 14 September for the paid induction day is obligatory
- Teaching commences 15 September and terminates 15 June 2014
- Arrange to arrive earlier than 14th September if you require help finding accommodation, registering for a Social Securtity number, etc.
Typical working hours/days:
- Teaching = 18 hours per week:
Monday and Wednesday: 16'00 - 20'15
Tuesday and Thursday: 16'00 - 20'45
Friday: 16'00 - 19'15
- Meetings = 2 hours per week:
Tuesday + Friday: 11'00 - 12'00
About the town:
Palma del Río is a typical Andalusian town rich in history and culture. Forget about traffic jams and long commutes in grey weather – here you can get around easily on foot or by bike, and it’s almost always sunny. If you tire of having cold beers on the sun terraces and knowing almost everyone you bump into in the street, you can escape to larger cities in little time: the beaches of Malaga are approximately 2 hours by car while reaching Seville and Cordoba takes around 1 hour. Apart from the considerably lower living costs that the town offers, you are highly unlikely to run into fellow expats sabotaging your plans to master the Spanish language. During your stay here, you are sure to make Spanish friends, improve your Spanish and have an authentic Spanish experience. This is not an ideal environment for people who always need to be around English speakers or who want to live in the city.
Some typical living costs:
Rent: 250-350 euros a month (1-3 bedroom flat in the town centre)
Coffee/beer/soft drink in a bar: 1,50 euros
Tapas: 2-3 euros depending on size
Train to Seville: 7,60 euros each way
Train to Cordoba: 4,85 euros each way
Train to Cadiz: 19,30 euros each way
1) Apply here through InstApply or send a cover letter and updated CV to Maria Hardy (Director of Studies) via the link below
2) Due to the high volume of applications received, only applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be contacted. Within 2 days you should receive an email to confirm that your application is being processed.
3) Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a Skype or telephone interview during August.
4) The successful candidate will be offered a contract by the end of August upon receiving copies of their qualifications and 2 satisfactory references, one of which must be from their latest employer.
Qualifications- Undergraduate degree in any subject (those related to languages/ education are ideal)
- Cambridge CELTA or equivalent (equivalent courses include a MINIMUM OF 120 CONTACT HOURS and a practical element whereby the teacher is observed teaching lessons - 100% online courses and weekend courses are not sufficient to apply for this position)
- Non native speakers must hold an internationally recognised certificate of English level C2 (e.g. Cambridge CPE) and demonstrate an excellent command of English during the interview stage
***NB: We are unable to consider applicants who are not eligible to work in the EU at the time of applying.***
Salary and BenefitsSalary:
20 hours per week (18 teaching hours, 2 hours of meetings): 944 euros after tax
Opportunity to increase income from additional duties
2 weeks at Christmas
1 week at Easter
National and local holidays
We offer a fully binding legal contract and respect all local laws. We advise applicants to refer to ACEIA and Spainwise for help in understanding workers' rights in the TEFL industry in Andalusia: www. aceia. es (in Spanish) and www. spainwise. net (in English).
We offer a supportive environment for budding teachers who have a genuine interest in education and personal development. This short-term contract of 9 months offers a valuable stepping stone between undergraduate life and the challenges of the PGCE and subsequent employment in mainstream schools, or the contract could be renewed if the teacher wishes to continue in the field of EFL teaching abroad.
Your training and experience at English Street Escuela de Inglés will strengthen your abilities in areas such as medium-long term planning and lesson planning, catering for multiple intelligences, differentiation, classroom management, and didactic techniques related directly to language teaching and learning. Every Friday we hold continued professional development training sessions in-house and there are opportunities for external training as well. Our trained and experienced Director of Studies will regularly carry out lesson observations and feedback sessions to guide and support the new teacher and will meet with them on an individual basis to monitor the progress of each group.
Each teacher has their own classroom equipped with air con / heating, whiteboard, projector, laptop computer and wireless internet. For the teacher's convenience, they have their own set of keys to the school so that they can do their lesson preparation whenever suits them best. The teacher is provided with the Teacher's Book, flashcards, posters, etc. for each course they will be delivering and each of their students has their own copy of the pupil's book. There is a colour printer and scanner for communal use in the office, and a selection of arts and crafts materials for projects in class and for making any extra resources the teacher wants. The centre also hosts a wide selection of teacher resource books, both theoretical and practical, and extra card games and board games for complementing the course books. Likewise, there are dressing up costumes, toys and realia available.
Currently on our team:
Carmen - our bilingual secretary is responsible for the school's admin and can help you out in class if you need a teaching assistant for a certain activity or just help understanding a child who is trying to tell you something in Spanish.
Aatikah and Zahra - our two EFL teachers who are beginning their second year with us. Ask them for teaching tips and insider info about the town.
Maria - the Director of Studies who also founded the school and is responsible for its smooth running. Tell her about your classes and consult her for tips on teaching, living in Palma and how to communicate in Spanish.
You? If you'd like to join our team, apply now. We look forward to working with you.
English Street Escuela de Inglés
More Company Information
English Street is a small and friendly school based in Palma del Río, near Córdoba. Professionalism is important to us, so we offer ongoing professional development sessions to all our teachers and comply with all legal requirements. Likewise, we pride ourselves on preparing and delivering top quality English lessons to all our students, most of whom are primary and pre-school children. We also have some adult groups who work towards B1/B2 certification. We prepare them for either the Cambridge or the Trinity exams, depending on their preference. In a nutshell, we aim for our students to grow confident in using English well and to have fun in the process.
Click here to visit the
English Street Escuela de Inglés website
Send Job via Email
Please enter the email address of the person you wish to send this job to.
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?
Train To Teach
4-week TEFL Courses and Guaranteed Job Placement in Czech Republic, Argentina, Mexico, Costa Rica and China!
Teach English as a Foreign Language after your 4 week TEFL course. Choose from more than 20 locations: See special savings!www.teflcertificatecourses.com