Director of Studies (External Courses)
- Italy, Reggio Calabria
- International House School srl
- Experience: NOT APPLICABLE
- Positions: 1
Details of Position
Overall aim: The successful applicant's main responsibility will be to coordinate all members of the teaching team and staff involved with external (offsite) courses. This is a new role which has been created as a result of the increased demand for courses to be run in external venues such as local state schools and universities.
Under the line management of the School Directors, the Role holder's main duties would include:
- Liasing with the Directors and the Director of Studies (Internal Courses) in order to guarantee the quality of teaching, and in particular a positive approach to continuous professional development, sharing and innovation
- Creating bespoke course plans for short, general English and exam preparation courses.
- Timetabling and other administrative issues
- Observing teachers and giving written and oral feedback
- Preparing and delivering training sessions for teachers of the school (INSETTs) and local Italian state school teachers.
- Along with the Director of Studies and YL Coordinator, resolving day-to-day problems
- Organizing and leading teachers’ meetings where required
- Conducting placement tests
- Creating and preparing teaching and assessment materials and assisting in the organization of tests and exams
- Standby teaching/substitutions (if required)
- Evaluating (and, if necessary, requesting) teaching materials and resources
In addition to the above duties, the DoS (External Courses) can expect to teach up to 13 contact hours per week. Please note that class type to be taught will vary according to the experience / preference of the successful applicant.
Founded in 1964, the British School of Reggio Calabria joined the prestigious IH network in 2015. IH has 160 schools in 52 countries and all its member schools have to adhere to its code of practice. As a member of AiSLi (a highly-regarded association of English Language Schools in Italy) and a Cambridge English Platinum centre, the school is committed to providing quality language courses and exam preparation.
The school has a student-centred approach and also places great importance on the professional development of all its members of staff. The students range in age from pre-schoolers to adults and the Young Learner department in particular has seen a steady increase over the past few years.
In addition to courses held on the school premises, courses are organised in local primary and secondary schools, as well as kindergartens. The school also runs regular teacher training workshops and seminars for teachers in public schools.
Reggio is right on the “toe” of Italy, just across from Sicily, and its museum is home to the world-famous “Bronzi di Riace” – two full-size, Greek, bronze statues dating back to 460 BC. Reggio has a Mediterranean climate and the temperature rarely drops below 10 degrees. With its proximity to the Aspromonte mountain range, and in particular Gambarie, you can easily visit the mountains and the sea in the same day. Like most places in Italy, the food is great and the restaurants in Calabria are especially renowned for their abundant portions and never-ending antipasti!
QualificationsCambridge CELTA or Trinity TESOL certificate.
Cambridge DELTA (Module 2) or Trinity Diploma.
Excellent organisational and communication skills are essential for this role.
As this role deals mainly with external (off-site) courses, it does require a certain amount of flexibility, so the ability to deal with changes in a positive manner is essential for this role.
Previous experience in an IH school is an advantage, but is not essential.
Salary and Benefits* Excellent opportunities for career development for the right candidate
* Minimum monthly net salary of 1250 Euros (dependent upon experience)
* End of contract bonus of approximately one month's salary
* Opportunity to be trained to become a Cambridge Speaking Examiner
* Fully-paid induction course
* Free Italian lessons held on the school premises
* Opportunity to attend conferences and/or workshops related to the field of work
* Up to 200 Euros reimbursed for flight back to country of origin at end of contract
* 20 days paid holiday (pro rata)
* Up to 20 days paid sick leave, upon presentation of a valid medical certificate
* Accommodation found within walking distance of the school at a cost of approximately 25-35% of monthly salary
International House School srl
via Argine destro Annunziata,13
- +39 0965 20024
- +39 0965 28000
Click here to visit the
International House School srl website
- Contact person:
- Lucie Cotterill, Academic Manager
Send Job via Email
Please enter the email address of the person you wish to send this job to.
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?