SUMMER ACADEMIC MANAGER FOR BRISTOL-BASED INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL
- United Kingdom, Bristol
- BLC (Bristol Language Centre)
- Experience: 2 YEARS
- Positions: 1
- Degree Required
- Short Term/Summer job
Details of Position
The Clifton College Summer Course delivers a programme which includes General English courses to teens (13 – 17), with a separate course for kids (8 – 12), plus afternoon Intensive English and Academic English options. Students will study in multi-lingual classes from Elementary to Advanced level.
The Summer Academic Manager is responsible for the day to day running of the academic teaching programme which takes place 5 days a week (Monday to Friday) and will be supported by a Young Learners’ Course Coordinator and an Admin Assistant. The programme is scheduled to run for six weeks from 3rd July 2017. The Summer Academic Manager will need to be available for training and preparation prior to this (dates TBC).
The Summer Academic Manager will:
- Take responsibility for implementing and monitoring the performance of the summer centre's academic programme, including all aspects of the summer English course syllabus and schedule
- Be responsible for pre-programme academic set up and effectively induct teachers at the beginning of the course
- Set up the on-site teachers’ preparation room with appropriate signage and the summer course materials and resources, and maintain it as a functioning workspace
- Manage the weekly testing and placement in classes of new arrivals
- Coordinate the weekly timetable, matching teachers to classes in line with skills and experience
- Hold regular teachers’ meetings to inform and update the team on any issues
- Carry out lesson observations and feedback with individual teaching staff
- Carry out teaching workshops and coordinate ideas sessions as required
- Ensure teaching staff are working in line with the course syllabus and school policies
- Ensure appropriate standards of student discipline are maintained
- Deal sensitively with enquiries from students and group leaders about classes and levels
- Ensure reports and leaver’s certificates are written by teaching staff
- Coordinate cover where required for absent teachers, and if necessary be prepared to teach cover lessons
- Work closely on a daily basis with the other members of the management team to ensure the successful running of the summer programme
- When required communicate with group leaders and members of on-site staff in a friendly and professional manner, handling any enquiries and requests efficiently
- When required, assist with welfare and pastoral duties
- Have an awareness of all aspects of the management of the summer school and how the academic programme fits in with other parts of the programme
While the Summer Academic Manager’s main responsibilities concern the academic programme, the Summer Academic Manager will also have an awareness of all aspects of the summer school and be willing to address situations whenever they arise.
QualificationsQUALIFICATION AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Educated to degree level
- TEFLQ qualified (DELTA, Dip.TESOL, MA TESOL)
- Experience of managing English language teaching staff
- Previous EFL Summer School experience essential
The Summer Academic Manager will need to be enthusiastic, approachable, supportive, diplomatic, confident, highly organised and flexible. We are looking for staff who understand the responsibilities involved with working around young people in a very busy role, and with working cooperatively with other members of the summer management team, international group leaders and on-site activity staff.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION. PLEASE READ:
BLC is committed to providing a safe environment for all students studying on our courses.
- We will require the contact details of two recent and relevant referees who we will contact.
- Any gaps in your CV will be enquired about, and must be explained satisfactorily.
- You will be required to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (or equivalent if living outside the UK), and you will be asked to sign the Children’s Act 1989 declaration safeguarding the welfare of children, and state that you have no known reason why you cannot work with children.
- Official identification including passport and certificates (either originals or certified copies) will be required.
Salary and Benefits£520 - £540 per week
BLC (Bristol Language Centre)
More Company Information
BLC (The Bristol Language Centre) has been operating as a provider of English language courses to Adult and Junior students since 2004. We are a British Council accredited language school and our aim is to provide an all-round language experience (English classes, accommodation and social programme activities). We operate year-round and our students come from a wide range of countries. During the summer months we run additional courses for teenage and young learner students on holiday courses.
3 Portwall Lane, Redcliffe
Click here to visit the
BLC (Bristol Language Centre) website
- Contact person:
- Jenny Cannell, Director of Studies
Send Job via Email
Please enter the email address of the person you wish to send this job to.
Like the sound of this job, but not fully qualified?